Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

International Student Advice and Support

Living in the UK

Your community responsibility

Living in town brings with it a set of responsibilities, to your housemates, your landlord and also to the local community. Your neighbours may have young children, or be elderly, either way they do not want to have your rubbish strewn over their property or be kept awake by loud music or voices in the street.

As in halls, the University employs community wardens to help and support you but also to make sure that local residents are not inconvenienced by students living in their street.

Bin collections

You must use the correct bins, recycle rubbish and put the bins out for collection on the right day each week. Charnwood District council website has details of all you need to know about refuse collection.

Crime prevention

It is up to you to make sure your house is kept safe from opportunistic burglaries. This means taking care to lock up when you go out and keep windows closed when not in a room, especially those on the ground floor. Visit the NUS website for more details of crime prevention for students.

The community wardens also have more information for you on their site. We advise you to take out contents insurance to cover all your belongings; and back up important files onto cloud based storage- losing the important essay the night before you have to hand it in would be a disaster.

If you do become a victim of crime, you should report it to the police. If you are worried about doing this and adviser can help you. Book an appointment.

Anti- social behaviour

Living in town is NOT an extension of living in halls. You are now living with people who do not necessarily have a connection with the University and will not be happy if you are bad neighbours. 

Anti-sococial behaviour includes noise, vandalism, loud parties, etc. The Community Wardens can discipline students living in town for these matters and any other complaint arising from neighbours. For more information please visit this web page. Obviously, you are also entitled to live in a peaceful area, so if other neighbours (students or non-students) cause you problems you are also allowed to make a complaint either to the community wardens (if it is another student) or to the council or police if the person (people) is not connected to the University.

For more in information on anti-social behaviour please read this leaflet from Charnwood Borough Council.

Hate incidents

 Hate incident is any incident where you or someone else has been targeted because you or they are believed to be different, this may be motivated by:

- Age

- Disability

- Gender identity

- Race

- Religion/belief or

- Sexual orientation

An incident may be physical, verbal or written and can take many forms including:

  • Physical attack – such as physical assault, damage to property, offensive graffiti
  • Threat of attack – including offensive letters, abusive or obscene calls
  • Verbal abuse or insults
  • Offensive leaflets and posters, hate mail, abusive gestures, dumping of rubbish outside homes
  • Harassment, bullying or victimisation

We are a reporting centre for such incidents, with all reports being fed back to Charnwood Borough Council. Reports can be made annonymously or by a 3rd party.