Finance OfficeStudents


25 Jul 2016

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

You are advised to take a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) when travelling to Europe as an EHIC entitles a person to reduced cost, or sometimes free, medical treatment that becomes necessary while they are in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.

If you already hold a valid UK issued EHIC, you will still be required to apply for a new EHIC by post if you intend to study abroad as the card you currently hold will not be valid for the purpose of studying overseas.

You are eligible for the EHIC if you are:

  •         A student and your studies are part of a UK course (EHIC valid for duration of course)
  •         A UK, EEA or Swiss national and live in the UK
  •         Non-EEA nationals who are resident in the UK

 Please click on the following link for the UK Government EHIC site which will provide further details and application information

 Note: If you submit an insurance claim for medical costs whilst travelling in the European Economic Area (EEA) and an EHIC card was not used at the time, then you may be liable for the first £25 of the cost (i.e. £25 excess).