Funding and Studentships
We administer two funding options to support overseas travel.
Applications will be reviewed at set points throughout the year; the deadlines for travel funding in the 2019/20 academic year are:
- 2 December 2019
- 2 March 2020 - final Santander deadline for travel commencing prior to 31st July 2020
- 2 April 2020 - final International PhD Exchange deadline for travel commencing prior to 31st July 2020
- 2 June 2020
- 2 September 2020
Applications should arrive prior to 5pm on the deadline day.
Santander Mobility Awards
Through the Doctoral College, Santander Universities offers mobility awards for UK researchers to undertake international travel to build their networks and employability. Please refer to the guidance notes prior to applying.
Applications should be submitted via Santander's BECAS application system, which can be accessed here.
International PhD Exchange
As part of the internationalisation of research and to increase joint publications with international partners, this scheme provides an opportunity for PhD student exchanges with strategic partners. Applications can be for Loughborough students to travel overseas or for international students to visit Loughborough. A strategic case must be made by the Associate Dean for Research on the form beow, including an indication of expected outcomes from the exchange. Up to 80% of the associated costs are available from the Doctoral College up to a maximum of £2500.
The university is particularly interested in exchanges with the following institutions:
- University of Queensland, Australia
- University of Sydney, Australia
- Nanyang Technical University (NTU), Singapore
- MIT, USA
- IIT Delhi, India
- IIT Bombay, India
- Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- UCLA, USA
- Rutgers, USA
- Shanghai University, China
- Tongji University, China
- Zhejiang University, China
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- University of Witwatersrand (Wits), South Africa
- ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- Chalmers, Sweden
- Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Delft, Netherlands
- RWTH Aachen, Germany