Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

Counselling and Disability Service

What is the DSA


Disabled Students Allowance is a targeted grant that can pay for study related costs which may be incurred at university as a result of a long term medical condition, sensory impairment, specific learning difference, mental health issue, autistic spectrum condition or physical disability.

Who is eligible?

Many students, particularly those with long term physical or mental health conditions, do not realise they are eligible for DSA. To find out if you are, please click here to be taken to the gov.uk web pages

DSA support for students with mental health conditions

When you have mental health difficulties, you are often encouraged to access treatment, such as medication or talking therapies. Services that provide these types of support are available from the NHS or privately, and the exact configuration or availability of these services depends on where you study/live and the types of difficulties you experience.

You are also encouraged to think about rights, resources or broad support networks. Some students do not feel that their difficulties entitle them to these types of considerations; they may assume that the situation cannot be changed, or that other people's difficulties are much worse or more worthy than theirs. However, if you experience mental health difficulties it is worthwhile talking about these issues with a Mental Health Adviser at the University.

Some students may be entitled to claim extra financial assistance to help with any additional costs they incur as a result of their mental health difficulties, and this page provides more detail.


How do I apply?

Student Finance England , Student Finance Scotland , Student Finance Northern Ireland  and Student Finance Wales each have their own forms so you need to chose the form based on your home address.

There is no fixed deadline to apply but once the academic year has started you have 9 months to apply for DSA for the current academic year.

When your application has been approved, you will be asked to book a Needs Assessment. You can find your nearest centre here by inserting your postcode.

You will receive a report following your Needs Assessment, which will be sent to your Funding Body. They will then write you a letter confirming which support has been agreed and explain how to arrange it.

How does the DSA process work?

How does the DSA process work?

Firstly, you will need to send evidence of your disability together with a DSA1 application form (available from the websites linked to above depending on your nationality).

Once your funding body has processed your application and established your eligibility for DSA they will write to you asking you to book an Assessment of Needs. You can do this at our DSA Assessment Centre or any other accredited assessment centre.

Once you have had your assessment, a report will be written making recommendations for support and sent to your funding body. They will then confirm the support which will be funded and explain how to go about arranging this. Find out more about the Assessment Process»

CDS Leaflet - DSA

Contacting the DSA teams

Below are the numbers to call regarding student finance queries depending on your funding body;

Student Finance England: 0300 100 0607

Student Finance Wales: 0300 200 4050

Student Finance Northern Ireland: 0300 100 0077

Student Awards Agency for Scotland 0300 555 0505

There is also a free phone in Student Services you can use to call funding bodies regarding any aspect of student finance support.  Please ask at the Information Desk in Bridgeman regarding access to this phone.



Search CDS

Contact Us

Email: Access@hereward.ac.uk

Telephone: 02476 426 146

Fax: 0247 669 4305