Explore career options
School of Social Sciences and Humanities
Criminology and Social Policy
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Deborah can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs and opportunities. She has weekly bookable 20 minute appointments in the Bridgeman Building that you can book on Careers Online.
- Exploring your career options if you are unsure what to do via a careers consultation.
- Mock interviews to help you prepare via a careers consultation.
- To book a careers consultation or mock interview, please call 01509 222 039.
- Email Deborah with any questions on firstname.lastname@example.org
Based in the Bridgeman building, Kate can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs, placements and opportunities.
- She has weekly bookable 20 minute appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within your departments that you can book on Careers Online.
- Kate will also send you tailored information to keep you updated with the latest relevant opportunities and events.
Room U2:10 Brockington Building
Phone: 01509 228329
Room U2:11 Brockington Building
Phone: 01509 223672
Key skills developed during your degree
- Analysing and interpreting data
- Critical thinking
- Generating and evaluating evidence
- Making reasoned arguments and ethical judgments
- Organising work and meeting deadlines
- Report writing
- Researching, judging and evaluating complex information
- Working collaboratively
Approximately 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines. The links below are specific to Criminology, if you would like information on other career areas, please visit the career areas section of our website.
Careers directly related to your degree:
- Probation Service - please see our Careers in Probation leaflet for more information.
- Security Service (MI5)
- The Home Office
- The National Crime Agency
- The Police Force
- The Prison Service
- Youth work
Careers where degree would be useful:
*You can also look at other course pages depending on other modules you have taken and/or are interested in*
Further study at Loughborough University:
The Social Sciences Department has four Postgraduate Taught Master's programmes that you can apply to:
- Global Media and Cultural Industries
- Digital Media and Society
- Media and Cultural Analysis
- Global Communication and Development
You can also study for a research degree including a PhD (Post Honours Doctorate) or MPhil (Master of Philosophy). Further information can be found on the Department webpages.
Further study elsewhere:
Some areas of interest include:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Criminology and Social Policy graduates do?
Destination details for 2018 graduates (under the new Graduate Outcomes survey) is due to be released in Spring 2020.
The following data represents the destinations of 2017 graduates from all undergraduate programmes within the Department of Social Sciences, of which Criminology and Social Policy is one.
Six months after graduating in 2017…
Main activity: 95% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
Mean salary: £21,824 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
Industry locations (professional level roles): 37% in London, 27% stayed in the East Midlands, 12% in the East of England, 10% in the West Midlands, 6% in the South East and 4% in Yorkshire & the Humber.
Industry sectors (professional level roles): 18% were in information and communication; 14% were in professional, scientific and technical activities; 12% were in education; 12% were in human health and social work activities; 10% were in public administration and 8% were in administrative and support services.
Atos, Boots, Brixton Prison, Care UK, CV-Library, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, Essex Police, Explore Learning, Ford Motor Company, Grant Thornton, Hays Recruitment, Local Government, NHS, Santander, Sky, Warner Bros UK
Administrator, Account Executive, Digital Strategy Intern, Employment Support Worker, Field Sales Executive, Human Resources Graduate, Intelligence Researcher, Market Research Analyst, Police Officer, Recruitment Coordinator, Regional Account Manager, User Experience Executive
Further Study included:
MA Creative Writing, MSc Information Management and Business Technology, MSc Marketing, MA Advertising and Marketing, MSc Child Development, MA Law, MA Media and Public Relations, PGCE Secondary Education
Resources to research career areas
- DLHE: destination of leavers of higher education data
- Graduate profiles: what did students who studied your subject do
- Prospects: options with a criminology degree
- Prospects: options with a social policy degree
There are a number of videos available providing you with first-hand accounts of certain careers; including information on industries, sectors, job roles and tips on how to get into specific roles.
Some examples include:
For more videos please see:
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Organisations That Have Graduate Schemes Directly Related to Criminology and Social Policy:
- Civil Service Fast Stream - they also have an undergraduate internship programme for under represented groups called the Summer Diversity Internship Programme
- College of Policing
- Criminal Cases Review Commission
- Frontline (Young People Social Work Scheme)
- GCHQ - 2 schemes available, "The Future Leaders Programme" and "Software Technologist Engagement Programme" looking for Non STEM subjects.
- Government Social Research Service
- HMRC (Intelligence Analyst roles advertised)
- National Offender Management Service (NOMS)
- NHS Leadership Academy
- Police Now
- Private Detectives Corporation
Jobs boards for entry level roles:
Areas with Criminology and Social Policy Related Jobs:
- Banks and building societies - often have fraud investigation roles
- British Transport Police
- Civil Service jobs
- Local Police Forces- many entry level and office based roles available as well as police roles.
- South Wales University
- Work with Offenders
- Metropolitan Police
- Youth Offending Teams East Midlands
- Police College
- Police- Could You?
- National Youth Agency