Explore career options
School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences
Sport and Exercise Science
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Gill can support you with:
Finding and applying for jobs, placements and a range of graduate opportunities. She offers 20 minute Quick Advice appointments and is available at the Careers Help Point on selected days in the Bridgeman Building.
Exploring your career options within a 30 minute Careers Consultation.
Mock interviews to practise interview questions and receive feedback.
She also delivers presentations and workshops tailored to individual programmes and year groups within SSEHS, including Personal Best lectures and CV workshops.
Based in the Bridgeman building, Sophie can support you with:
- Applying for jobs – CVs, cover letters and other applications.
- Helping you find opportunities, including internships and placements.
- Interview support
She has weekly bookable 20 minute appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within your departments at The Place that you can book on Careers Online.
Based in The Place in Stewart Mason, Ru can help you with:
• Finding, applying and setting up placements within your department. You can email Ru on firstname.lastname@example.org
Key skills developed during your degree
- A good understanding of information technology
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Presentation and oral communication
- Research and data analysis
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Time-management and planning skills
- Written communication; including report writing, time-management and planning
Careers directly related to Sport and Exercise Science/Sport Management:
- Biomechanics/ Performance Analysis
- Exercise Physiology/ Strength & Conditioning
- Sports Nutrition & Dietetics
- Sports Psychology
- PE/ Sports Teaching/ Lecturing
- Outdoor Pursuits/ Activities
Sports Performance, Coaching & Officiating
- Professional Sports Performance
- Coaching & Instructing Sports Performance
Promoting & Developing Sport
- Sports Development
Health and Fitness
- Fitness Instruction/ Personal Training/ Instructing Exercise
- Health Promotion & Exercise Referral
- Clinical Physiology
- Sports Physiotherapy/ Sports Therapy
Sports Management, Administration & Marketing
- Fitness & Leisure Facility Management
- Sports Administration and General Management
- Sports Management consultancy
- Sports Events Management
- Sports Advertising, Marketing & PR
- Sports Sales
- Sports Journalism
Sports Property & Construction
- Sports Facilities Consultancy
Careers where your degree would be useful:
- Outdoor Learning – relevant training/ courses:
- Relevant qualifications might be offered as part of your degree course or through the clubs you are involved in.
- SkillsActive - offers training courses and qualifications:
- Sport England - Get instructor's qualification from the appropriate national governing body (NGB). Find details of NGB’s through Sport England.
Further study at Loughborough University:
Postgraduate Taught courses at Loughborough University - SSEHS offers a comprehensive range of postgraduate taught programmes across the areas of Health Science, Sport Performance and Social Sciences of Sport, Education and Society.
Postgraduate Research at Loughborough University - SSEHS also offer Research degree opportunities within Behavioural Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Sport Science and Social Sciences and Sport:
Further study elsewhere:
Find a Masters - Find a Masters in Sport and Exercise Science across the UK and Europe.
Popular areas of further study:
This is according to Loughborough University’s DLHE Statistics between 2011/12 – 2013/14:
- MRes – Psychology
- MSc - Management
- MSc - Marketing and Management
- MSc - Physiotherapy
- MSc - Sport and Exercise Nutrition
- MSc - Sport and Exercise Science
- MSc - Sports Coaching
- MSc - Exercise Physiology
- PhD - Physical Activity and Public Health
- Teach First
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Sport and Exercise Science graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2017…
For Sport and Exercise Science
- Main activity: 95.9% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
- Mean salary: £19,475 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
- Sectors: 32% were working in arts, entertainment and recreation, 30% were in education, 10% were in human health and social work activities, 7% were in professional, scientific and technical activities, and 5% were in public administration and defence; compulsory social security
- Location: 30% were working in the East Midlands, 21% were in London, 12% were in the South East, 11% were in the East of England, 7% were in the West Midlands, 4% were in England (region unknown), 4% were in the North West, 4% were in the South West, 4% were in Wales, 4% were in Yorkshire & the Humber, and 2% were in Northern Ireland.
Arsenal Football Club, CP+R, Charnwood Borough Council, Essex Police, Fit4less, Football Association, Great British Hockey, Holywood Rugby Club, Leisure Leagues, NHS, Nuffield Health, Tottenham Hotspur, Volleyball England.
Associate Physiotherapist, Clinical Exercise Specialist, Cricket Coaching, Health and Wellbeing Advisor, Health and Wellbeing Physiologist, Performance Analyst, Personal Trainer, Sports & Outreach Intern, Sports Development Officer, Sport Science Intern, Strength Coach.
Further Study included:
BSc Physiotherapy, MSc Exercise Physiology, MSc Human and Applied Physiology, MSc Management, MSc Sport and Exercise Nutrition, MSc Sport and Exercise Psychology, MSc Sport Biomechanics, MSc Sport Exercise and Health Sciences, Musculoskeletal Sport Science and Health, PGCE Physical Education, PhD Public Health.
Resources to research career areas:
- All About Careers guide: what can I do with a sports science degree? - learn about job sectors, skills gained and take the careers test on sports science.
- BASES - the professional body for sport and exercise sciences in the UK
- Careers in Sport - offers guidance on the experience and qualifications required for a diverse range of professions within sports, and profiles of experts working within the industry.
- Generation Medics.
- Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport - information on sport and physical activity in the local area
- National Careers Service - find out about job profiles within sport.
- NHS Careers - information including videos on job areas, list of careers and FAQs.
- Prospects: Sport and Leisure Management - Learn about job options, key skills and further study within sport and leisure management.
- Prospects: Sport Science - learn about job options, key skills and further study within sport science.
- Prospects: information on careers in leisure, sport and tourism
- SkillsActive Careers - gives case studies, company profiles and information on different areas of the sport industry.
- Sport Business - develop your commercial awareness within sport.
- Sports Coach UK - provides information, resources and training for those interested in sports coaching.
- Youth Sport Trust - an independent charity working with young people through sport.
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
You will receive regular “SSEHS: Your Careers Update” emails from Claire. These will include graduate jobs, internships, placements, work experience and upcoming events tailored to your school. These emails are designed for your needs so if you have any suggestions or feedback please let us know.
Sport specific websites:
- BASES - advertises jobs, studentships and work experience within sport.
- Bluedome - job vacancies in outdoor and adventure organisation.
- BUNAC - work and volunteer abroad programmes.
- Careers in Sport jobs - find the latest positions in the sport and fitness industry
- Do-it – volunteering opportunities.
- Global Sport Jobs - job site with careers advice, set up by a Loughborough graduate
- HealthJobsUK - for those interested in a clinical job
- Leisure Jobs - search for leisure jobs across the world
- Leisure Opportunities - jobs, training and news within leisure
- Loughborough Coach and Volunteer Academy – for opportunities to get involved with different sports volunteering programmes on campus.
- Projects Abroad – volunteering projects abroad.
- Sport England - Sport England creates opportunities to help communities excel in sport.
- Sport@VAL – sport volunteering opportunities.
- SportPark Loughborough University - a range of sports-related opportunities are regularly advertised.
- Sports Management - offers jobs, news and blog posts on sport management.
- Sports Recruitment International - provides international sport jobs.
- UK Sport - aids in the development of sport within the UK.
Professional bodies, sector and labour market information (LMI)
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- The Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA)
- The English Institute of Sport
Sector and labour market information (LMI):
- English Institute of Sport - provides support to coaches and athletes through delivering science, medicine, technology and engineering.
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute - specialises in research and education in hydration and nutrition science within a sporting environment.
- Sport Industry Group - promotes events, news and articles about the sport industry.
- Sports Management - resources for sports management professionals.
- The Department for Culture, Media and Sport - a department within the UK government responsible for culture and sport in England.
- Warwick Institute for Employment Research - one of Europe's leading centres for labour market research, including sport.
The Talk Sport Student Conference returned on Thursday 30th January 2020. This was a unique opportunity for students to learn from presentations, ask questions and network with a select group of sports industry professionals.
To access information about previous events see below.