Explore career options
School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences
Your careers team
Careers Network is here to support you by providing information, advice, guidance, events and opportunities to enable you to secure placements, work experience, self-employment and graduate careers.
Working closely with your academic school, our team of experts ensures that every student has access to careers advice. As well as large careers fairs, we hold sector-specific events, involving employers and Loughborough alumni, to help you make valuable connections and secure high-quality placements and graduate roles.
To find out more about what we do and how we can support you, visit Meet the teams.
Details of the Placements Officers for your school can be found here.
We look forward to supporting throughout your Loughborough journey.
Key skills developed during your degree
- A good understanding of information technology
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Presentation and oral communication
- Research and data analysis
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Time-management and planning skills
- Written communication; including report writing, time-management and planning
You might also want to read The skills needed to future proof your career in sport.
To learn more about skills and how you can develop them at Univerisity, see Skills employers seek and sign up to the Personal Best programme.
CAREERS DIRECTLY RELATED TO YOUR DEGREE IN SPORT
- Biomechanics/ Performance Analysis
- Clinical Science
- Exercise Physiology/ Strength & Conditioning
- Sports Nutrition & Dietetics
- Sports Psychology
- PE/ Sports Teaching/ Lecturing
- Outdoor Pursuits/ Activities
Sports Performance, Coaching & Officiating
- Professional Sports Performance
- Coaching & Instructing Sports Performance
Promoting & Developing Sport
- Sports Development
Health and Fitness
- Fitness Instruction/ Personal Training/ Instructing Exercise
- Health Promotion & Exercise Referral
- Clinical Physiology
- Sports Physiotherapy/ Sports Therapy
Sports Management, Administration & Marketing
- Fitness & Leisure Facility Management
- Sports Administration and General Management
- Sports Management consultancy
- Sports Events Management
- Sports Advertising, Marketing & PR
- Sports Sales
- Sports Journalism
Sports Property & Construction
- Sports Facilities Consultancy
CAREERS WHERE YOUR DEGREE IN SPORT WOULD BE USEFUL
- Armed Forces
- Community Work
- Customer Services
- Events Management
- Youth Work
Further study at Loughborough University:
Postgraduate Taught courses at Loughborough University - SSEHS offers a comprehensive range of postgraduate taught programmes across the areas of Health Science, Sport Performance and Social Sciences of Sport, Education and Society.
Postgraduate Research at Loughborough University - SSEHS also offer Research degree opportunities within Behavioural Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Sport Science and Social Sciences and Sport:
Further study elsewhere:
Find a Masters - Find a Masters in Sport and Exercise Science across the UK and Europe.
- Relevant qualifications might be offered as part of your degree course or through the clubs you are involved in.
- You can also access qualifications and experience with Loughborough's Coach and Volunteer Academy.
- SkillsActive - offers training courses and qualifications
- UK Coaching - Face-to-face workshops, eLearning courses and webinars for coaches
- Outdoor Learning – relevant training/ courses:
- The professional body/ies for the career or profession you are interested in will provide up to date information about accredited qualifications.
Some popular areas of further study:
- Sport and Exercise Nutrition
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Sports Coaching
- Exercise Physiology
- Physical Activity and Public Health
- Medicine and Health
Where do graduates go?
SPORT AND EXERCISE SCIENCE
Graduates from this subject area have gone on to destinations where:
Arsenal Football Club, CP+R, Charnwood Borough Council, Essex Police, Fit4less, Football Association, Great British Hockey, Holywood Rugby Club, Leisure Leagues, NHS, Nuffield Health, Tottenham Hotspur, Volleyball England.
Associate Physiotherapist, Clinical Exercise Specialist, Cricket Coaching, Health and Wellbeing Advisor, Health and Wellbeing Physiologist, Performance Analyst, Personal Trainer, Sports & Outreach Intern, Sports Development Officer, Sport Science Intern, Strength Coach.
Further Study included:
BSc Physiotherapy, MSc Exercise Physiology, MSc Human and Applied Physiology, MSc Management, MSc Sport and Exercise Nutrition, MSc Sport and Exercise Psychology, MSc Sport Biomechanics, MSc Sport Exercise and Health Sciences, Musculoskeletal Sport Science and Health, PGCE Physical Education, PhD Public Health.
Graduates from this subject area have gone on to destinations where:
Barclays, CSM Sports and Entertainment, Column Technologies Limited, IMG Golf, London Scottish, Loughborough University, Macmillan Cancer Support, Netball World cup 2019 Ltd, Red Bull, Tennis Foundation.
Client Advisor, Client Management Assistant, Commercial Marketing Intern, Communications Executive, Disability Sports Development Officer, Event Administrator, Marketing Officer, Operations Lead, Rugby Club Coordinator, Teaching Assistant.
Further Study included:
MSc Information Management and Business Technology, MSc Marketing, PGCE in Physical Education, Psychology Conversion course.
SPORT SCIENCE, COACHING AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION
The first cohort of students on this programme will graduate in 2022. Graduates not progressing directly into coaching or education will pursue closely related careers and those similar to students from our other sports programmes.
For more information on companies graduates work for, industry links and career opportunities, visit the subject area page of the University website. You can also find out what our students say in our student stories of personal journeys through and beyond Loughborough and track the career journeys and Loughborough experiences of some of our alumni.
Resources to research career areas
- ADeL - access to all topics related to clean sport and anti-doping
- All About Careers guide: what can I do with a sports science degree? - learn about job sectors, skills gained and take the careers test on sports science
- BASES - the professional body for sport and exercise sciences in the UK
- Careers in Sport - offers guidance on the experience and qualifications required for a diverse range of professions within sports, and profiles of experts working within the industry
- Generation Medics
- Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport - information on sport and physical activity in the local area
- National Careers Service - find out about job profiles within sport
- NHS Careers - information including videos on job areas, list of careers and FAQs
- Prospects: Sport and Leisure Management - Learn about job options, key skills and further study within sport and leisure management
- Prospects: Sport and Exercise Science - learn about job options, key skills and further study within sport science
- Prospects: information on careers in leisure, sport and tourism
- SkillsActive Careers - gives case studies, company profiles and information on different areas of the sport industry.
- Sport Business - develop your commercial awareness within sport
- Supporting Champions - advice, training and networking to develop your career in performance
- UK Coaching - provides information, resources and training for those interested in sports coaching
- Youth Sport Trust - an independent charity working with young people through sport
- BASES Career Guide - a guide to careers in sport and exercise sciences
- Sport England: Towards an Active Nation - The government’s sporting strategy to create a more physically active nation
- Why Sports Resource library - these documents will help you to research issues surrounding sport
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
- BASES - advertises jobs, studentships and work experience within sport
- Bluedome - job vacancies in outdoor and adventure organisation
- BUCS - job vacancies from throughout sport and the higher eduction sector
- BUNAC - work and volunteer abroad programmes
- Careers in Sport jobs - find the latest positions in the sport and fitness industry
- Do-it – volunteering opportunities
- Football Leadership Diversity Code - The careers platform supporting the drive for diversity and inclusion across English football
- Global Sport Jobs - job site with careers advice, set up by a Loughborough graduate
- HealthJobsUK - for those interested in clinical jobs
- Leisure Jobs - search for leisure jobs across the world
- Leisure Opportunities - jobs, training and news within leisure
- Loughborough Sport Coach and Volunteer Academy – for opportunities to get involved with different sports volunteering programmes on campus
- Projects Abroad – volunteering projects abroad
- Sport England - Sport England creates opportunities to help communities excel in sport
- Sport@VAL – sport volunteering opportunities
- SportPark Loughborough University - a range of sports-related opportunities are regularly advertised
- Sports Management - offers jobs, news and blog posts on sport management
- Sports Recruitment International - provides international sport jobs
- UK Sport - aids in the development of sport within the UK
Professional bodies, sector and labour market information (LMI)
- Association for Physical Education
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine (BASEM)
- European Association of Sport Management
- The Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA)
- The English Institute of Sport
- The Sport and Exercise Nutrition Register (from the British Association of Dietetics)
- UK Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA)
Sector and labour market information (LMI):
- English Institute of Sport - provides support to coaches and athletes through delivering science, medicine, technology and engineering.
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute - specialises in research and education in hydration and nutrition science within a sporting environment.
- Global Sports - In-demand career opportunities in sports business - emerging opportunities and the future of careers in sport.
- Global Sports - The People Agenda Survey 2020 - The views and experiences of the people of the sports industry during a year of unprecedented change.
- Sport Industry Group - promotes events, news and articles about the sport industry.
- Sports Management - resources for sports management professionals.
- The Department for Culture, Media and Sport - a department within the UK government responsible for culture and sport in England.
- Warwick Institute for Employment Research - one of Europe's leading centres for labour market research, including sport.
The Talk Sport Student Conference returns on Thursday 4th February 2021. This is a unique opportunity for students to learn from presentations and ask questions to a select group of sports industry professionals. To find out more, and book onto this online event delivered on MS Teams, see the Talk Sport 2021 programme.
To access information about previous Talk Sport events see below.