Explore career options
School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Gill can support you with:
Finding and applying for jobs, placements and a range of graduate opportunities. She offers 20 minute Quick Advice appointments and is available at the Careers Help Point on selected days in the Bridgeman Building.
Exploring your career options within a 30 minute Careers Consultation.
Mock interviews to practise interview questions and receive feedback.
She also delivers presentations and workshops tailored to individual programmes and year groups within SSEHS, including Personal Best lectures and CV workshops.
Based in the Bridgeman building, Sophie can support you with:
- Applying for jobs – CVs, cover letters and other applications.
- Helping you find opportunities, including internships and placements.
- Interview support
She has weekly bookable 20 minute appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within your departments at The Place that you can book on Careers Online.
Based in The Place in Stewart Mason, Clare can help you with:
• Finding, applying and setting up placements within your department. You can email Clare on firstname.lastname@example.org .
Key skills developed during your degree
- Analytical research
- Applying psychological theory to society's organisations, including schools, hospitals and offices;
- Developing opinions and new ideas on issues;
- Knowledge and understanding of research methods, analysis, statistical techniques and data handling;
- Making reasoned arguments;
- Organising work and meeting deadlines.
- Problem solving
- Researching, judging and evaluating complex information;
- Strong IT skills;
- The ability to appreciate, understand, scrutinise and re-assess common perceptions of the social world;
- The ability to work in teams
- Written and verbal communication, including report writing and presentation
Approximately 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines. The links below are specific to Social Psychology, if you would like information on other career areas, please visit the career areas section of our website.
Careers directly related to your degree:
- Civil service
- Clinical and counselling psychology
- Community work
- Educational Psychology
- Forensic Psychology and fraud investigation
- Health psychologist
- Mental health worker
- Occupational Psychology
- Prison service
- Psychological wellbeing practitioner
Careers where degree would be useful:
- Advertising and marketing
- Advice work
- Careers advice
- Consumer Psychology
- Human resources
- Market research
*You can also look at other course pages depending on other modules you have taken and/or are interested in*
Further study at Loughborough University:
The Social Sciences Department has four Postgraduate Taught Master's programmes that you can apply to:
- Global Media and Cultural Industries
- Digital Media and Society
- Media and Cultural Analysis
- Global Political Communication
You can also study for a research degree including a PhD (Post Honours Doctorate) or MPhil (Master of Philosophy). Further information can be found on the Department webpages.
Further study elsewhere:
Some areas of interest include:
- Clearing House for Postgraduate Courses in Clinical Psychology
- Psychology and Psychiatry
- Public Relations
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Social Psychology graduates do?
The following data represents the destinations of 2017 graduates from all undergraduate programmes within the Department of Social Sciences, of which Social Psychology is one. To read career stories from graduates from the School of Social, Political and Geographical Sciences view our Graduate Profiles.
Six months after graduating in 2017…
- Main activity: 95% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
- Mean salary: £21,824 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
- Industry locations (professional level roles): 37% in London, 27% stayed in the East Midlands, 12% in the East of England, 10% in the West Midlands, 6% in the South East and 4% in Yorkshire & the Humber.
- Industry sectors (professional level roles): 18% were in information and communication; 14% were in professional, scientific and technical activities; 12% were in education; 12% were in human health and social work activities; 10% were in public administration and 8% were in administrative and support services.
Atos, Boots, Brixton Prison, Care UK, CV-Library, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, Essex Police, Explore Learning, Ford Motor Company, Grant Thornton, Hays Recruitment, Local Government, NHS, Santander, Sky, Warner Bros UK
Administrator, Account Executive, Digital Strategy Intern, Employment Support Worker, Field Sales Executive, Human Resources Graduate, Intelligence Researcher, Market Research Analyst, Police Officer, Recruitment Coordinator, Regional Account Manager, User Experience Executive
Further Study included:
MA Creative Writing, MSc Information Management and Business Technology, MSc Marketing, MA Advertising and Marketing, MSc Child Development, MA Law, MA Media and Public Relations, PGCE Secondary Education
Resources to research career areas
- DLHE: destination of leavers of higher education data
- Graduate profiles: What did students who studied your subject do
- All About Careers Guide: what can I do with a psychology degree
- British Psychological Society
- Clearing House for Postgraduate Courses in Clinical Psychology
- Generation Medics
- NHS: What Can I Do With My Degree
- PLOTR: psychology related careers
- Prospects: options with a psychology degree
- Target jobs: What can I do with a psychology degree
There are a number of videos available providing you with first-hand accounts of certain careers; including information on industries, sectors, job roles and tips on how to get into specific roles.
Some examples include:
For more videos please see:
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Organisations that have graduate schemes directly related to Social Psychology:
- Cancer Research UK
- Charity Works Graduate Scheme
- Civil Service Fast Stream
- Frontline Young People Social Work Scheme
- Government Social Research Service
- HMRC: Intelligence Analyst roles advertised
- IntoUniversity Graduate Trainee Education Worker Scheme
- National Offender Management Service (NOMS)
- National Graduate Development Programme (NGDP) - local government graduate scheme
- NHS Leadership Academy
- Skills for Care
- Think Ahead Mental Health Social Work Scheme
Social Psychology specific websites:
- Clinical Psychology
- Jobs Go Public
- Leicester City Council Community Mental Heath Teams
- NHS Jobs
- Richmond Fellowship
- The British Psychological Society