Explore career options
School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences
Biological Sciences and Human Biology
Your careers team
Careers Network is here to support you by providing information, advice, guidance, events and opportunities to enable you to secure placements, work experience, self-employment and graduate careers.
Working closely with your academic school, our team of experts ensures that every student has access to careers advice. As well as large careers fairs, we hold sector-specific events, involving employers and Loughborough alumni, to help you make valuable connections and secure high-quality placements and graduate roles.
To find out more about what we do and how we can support you, visit Meet the team.
Details of the Placements Officers for your school can be found here.
We look forward to supporting throughout your Loughborough journey.
Key skills developed during your degree
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Information technology
- Numeracy and maths
- Organisation and time management
- Presentation and oral communication
- Problem solving and creative thinking
- Project Management
- Research and data analysis
- Self reliance, initiative and business awareness
- Time-management and planning
- Written communication, including report writing
Careers directly related to Human Biology / Biological Sciences
- Academic researcher
- Biomedical Scientist
- Clinical Research Associate
- Clinical Scientist
- Exercise Physiologist
- Forensic Scientist
- Healthcare Scientist - several disciplines
- Higher education lecturer
- Laboratory Analyst/Scientist
- Medical Sales Representative
- Occupational Therapist
- Physician Associate
- Research Scientist
- Secondary school teacher
- Science Writer
- Scientific laboratory technician
- Teaching laboratory technician
Careers where your degree would be useful
- Anatomical pathology technologist
- General practice doctor
- Genetic counsellor
- Health improvement practitioner
- Medical science liaison
- Physician associate
- Science writer
Alternative Science Careers
- 10 alternative science careers
NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP): Postgraduate training involving three years of work-based training, leading to an accredited master's degree and certification of achievement in one of nine themed pathways:
Further study at Loughborough University:
The School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences offers a comprehensive range of postgraduate taught programmes across the areas of health science, sport performance and social sciences of sport, education and society:
SSEHS also offer Research degree opportunities within Biomedical Sciences:
Further study elsewhere:
Popular areas of Further Study:
The data below reflects Loughborough University’s DLHE Statistics between 2011/12 – 2013/14 for Human Biology. As Biological Sciences is a new degree we do not currently have data of where our graduates continue for further study.
- MPhil Biological Anthropology
- MPhil Public Health
- MRes Human Biology
- MSc Exercise Physiology
- MSc Medical Science
- MSc Physiotherapy
- MSc Sport & Exercise Nutrition
- MSc Clinical Science
- MSc Molecular Genetics and Diagnostics
- MSc Oncology
- MSc Physiotherapy
- MSc Translational Neuroscience
- MSc Musculoskeletal Sport Science and Health
- PhD Metabiological Diabetes
- PhD Healthcare Engineering
- Teach First
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Human Biology graduates do?
Our Biological Sciences course began in 2018, therefore we currently have no graduate destination data available for this programme. To see the destinations of other related programmes, see below or click on the relevant link under Options with your degree.
Six months after graduating in 2017… (we are still waiting for the 2018 Graduate Outcomes Data to be published!)
For Human Biology
- Main activity: 94.6% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
- Mean salary: £23,061 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
- Sectors: 22% were working in human health and social work activities, 22% were in manufacturing, 17% were in professional, scientific and technical activities, 13% were in administrative and support service activities and 13% were in education.
- Location: 26% were working in London, 26% in the South East, 22% in the East Midlands, 13% in the East of England, 4% in the North West, 4% in the South West and 4% in the West Midlands.
Ashfield Healthcare, Bio Products Laboratory Ltd, Birmingham Women's Hospital, British Triathlon, Cotts Beverages, FRP Advisory, Frimley Health, GSK, Gleeds, Kantar Worldpanel, NHS, PwC, Team Triumph, Wiser.
Bowel Cancer Screening Administrator, Business Development Executive, Finance Associate, Graduate Intern to Wet Labs, Healthcare Science Assistant, Key Accounts Specialist & Talent Acquisition Partner, Medical Laboratory Assistant, Medical Sales Representative, Pharmaceutical Technician, Research Management and Governance Administrator, Respiratory Therapy Representative.
Further Study included:
MSc in Molecular Genetics and Diagnostics, MSc Oncology, MSc Physiotherapy, MSc Translational Neuroscience, Musculoskeletal Sport Science and Health, PhD Metabiological Diabetes
- View Graduate Profiles from this department
Find out about career possibilities after graduation from recent graduates who shared their graduate story through the Loughborough University Biosciences LinkedIn network in summer 2020.
Resources to research career areas
- ABPI, case studies
- Generation Medics
- Graduate Entry Medicine
- Graduates into Health
- List of Biology Careers Resources
- NHS: explore roles
- NHS: training opportunities with a degree
- Prospects - what can I do with a Biology degree?
- Prospects - what can I do with a Biomedical science degree?
- Prospects - Science and Pharmaceuticals
- Prospects - Health Care
- TargetJobs, what can I do with a biology degree?
- Top Universities, what can you do with a Biology degree?
- 10 alternative science careers
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Websites to search for opportunities:
- Careers Online - Our website for vacancies and opportunities and internally through your department.
- Year In Industry – This organisation can help match you to industrial placements. It's free to use for our students.
- Gradcracker - Search for internships, placements and graduate opportunities.
- TargetJobs - Browse opportunities, career sectors, internships and careers advice.
- Prospects - Search for graduate jobs.
- STEM Graduates - Search for STEM specific graduate jobs.
- NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme
- Ask in your department.
Biology/Science specific websites:
Professional bodies, sector and labour market information (LMI)
- Biochemical Society
- Institute of Biomedical Scientists
- Royal Society of Biology
- The Academy of Medical Sciences
- The Association for Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine
- The Society for General Microbiology
Sector and labour market information (LMI):