Explore career options
School of Design and Creative Arts
Drama, Drama with Business Studies, Drama with English, English and Drama
Your careers team
Careers Network is here to support you by providing information, advice, guidance, events and opportunities to enable you to secure placements, work experience, self-employment and graduate careers.
Working closely with your academic school, our team of experts ensures that every student has access to careers advice. As well as large careers fairs, we hold sector-specific events, involving employers and Loughborough alumni, to help you make valuable connections and secure high-quality placements and graduate roles.
To find out more about what we do and how we can support you, visit Meet the team.
Details of the Placements Officers for your school can be found here.
We look forward to supporting throughout your Loughborough journey.
Key skills developed during your degree
- Ability to work independently.
- Articulate knowledge and understanding of texts, concepts and theories.
- Command a broad range of vocabulary and critical terminology.
- Convey meaning precisely and pick out the essential points from texts.
- Develop skills in critical reasoning and analysis.
- Develop time management skills, for example, when meeting essay deadlines;
- Effectively convey arguments and opinions and encourage independent and creative thought.
- Gain a good understanding of the uses of information technology and develop a range of IT skills.
- Have tolerance of ambiguity and of others’ opinions.
- Lead and participate in discussions and have confidence in your own opinions.
- Plan and research written and practical work.
- Use judgment when weighing up different options and alternative perspectives.
- Work towards a solution using negotiation skills.
- Work with others when presenting ideas, information and practical work.
Graduate employment sectors related to your degree:
- Artistic Director
- Arts administrator
- Backstage crew
- Broadcast presenter
- Community development worker
- Community education officer
- Costume Designer
- Drama teacher
- Music therapist
- Radio Presenter
- Social worker
- Talent Agent
- Theatre Director
- Theatre Stage Manager
- Youth Worker
Graduates from creative degrees often have many transferable skills which can be applicable to a wide variety of jobs and industries, not just the creative sector.
For example, here is a resources for creatives working in healthcare.
Further study at Loughborough University:
The School of Design and Creative Arts offers a portfolio of taught postgraduate programmes that enable intellectual and creative development and foster transferable and marketable skills, enhancing employment possibilities in a range of fields including art, design, writing, publishing, arts administration and curation.
The School of Design and Creative Arts also offers an exciting interdisciplinary research environment. Our research students are supported by our expert staff who have a diverse range of research interests and experience. Becoming a postgraduate research student in the School allows you to have the opportunity to work within an informal and friendly environment, whilst also becoming part of an innovative research community.
Further study elsewhere:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Drama graduates do?
Destination details for 2018 graduates (under the new Graduate Outcomes survey) is due to be released soon.
Six months after graduating in 2017…
- Main activity: 100% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
- Mean salary: £21,836 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
- Industry Sectors (professional level roles): 33.3% were in Information and communication, 33.3% were in Professional, scientific and technical activities and 33.3% were in Wholesale and retail trade.
- Industry Locations (professional level roles): 33.3% were working in London, 33.3% were working in Yorkshire and the Humber and 33.3% were working in the Channel Isles.
Asda, BBC, Herts Inclusive Theatre, John Lewis, King’s Wood School, Premier Communications.
Roles included – Associate Director, Broadcast Assistant, Junior PR Associate, Manager in Training, Retail Management Graduate Programme, Teaching Assistant.
Further Study included:
PGCE Drama, PGCE Lower Primary, PGCE Secondary English Education.
- View Graduate Profiles from this department.
Resources to research career areas
- All about careers - The nuts and bolts of becoming a professional actor
- BAFTA - careers in TV, Film and Games
- Get into Theatre: The best 10 tips on how to start a career in the Theatre Industry
- Pint Sized Theatre - podcasts helping playwrites explore and navigate the theatre industry
- Prospects: What can I do with my drama degree?
- Screen Skills - Careers in film, TV, VFX, animation and games
- Target: List of 12 jobs in Theatre
- Target Jobs: Creative Careers for Graduates
- The Conference of Drama Schools guide to careers backstage
Resources to find experience, placements and graduate jobs
There are a wide range of resources available to you to search for placement, internship and work experience opportunities.
There are many opportunities advertised on Careers Online, the University’s online vacancy system.
- Arts Hub Jobs - includes "job of the week" and allows you to apply work type filters such as volunteering or part time work
- Arts Jobs and news - opportunities within the arts sector from the Arts Council.
- BBC Careers - create a Careers Hub profile and search for opportunities working for the BBC
- Channel 4 Jobs - search for opportunities working for Channel 4
- Viacom International Media Network Jobs - search for vacancies at Channel 5, MTV, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central
- Creative Access - paid internships for young people from Black, Asian and non-white minority ethnic backgrounds.
- Equity Jobs – Listings in performance and creative work
- ITV Jobs - search for jobs at ITV
- Mediabeans - search for media jobs
- Spotlight - advertises casting opportunities
- The Stage Jobs - browse jobs by category, including "theatre", "auditions" and "casting"
- UK Theatre - Browse theatre based jobs, plus news, reports, membership and networking
- Young Creative Council - Placement Poverty Pledge
Creative / Acting CV Resources