Explore career options
School of Architecture, Building and Civil Engineering (ABCE)
Your careers team
Careers Network is here to support you by providing information, advice, guidance, events and opportunities to enable you to secure placements, work experience, self-employment and graduate careers.
Working closely with your academic school, our team of experts ensures that every student has access to careers advice. As well as large careers fairs, we hold sector-specific events, involving employers and Loughborough alumni, to help you make valuable connections and secure high-quality placements and graduate roles.
To find out more about what we do and how we can support you, visit Meet the team.
Details of the Placements Officers for your school can be found here.
We look forward to supporting throughout your Loughborough journey.
Key skills developed during your degree
An architecture degree develops many skills including
- imaginative and creative thinking skills
- information management
- anaylysis and critical thinking and attention to detail
- communication and visualisation
- multi-disciplinary team-work
- IT and digital design skills
- understanding of materials and the built environment, structural and construction technologies
- commercial awareness
- organisation and project management
- appreciation of history, and legal, cultural and environmental issues
Career areas related to the Architecture courses:
- Architectural Design Engineer
- Architectural Technologist/Technician
- Civil Engineering Consultant
Careers where your degree would be useful:
- Facilities Manager
- Rural Practice Surveyor
- Building Surveyor
- Town Planner
- Commerical/Residential Surveyor
- Historic buildings inspector/conservation officer
- Construction Manager
- Property Developer
- Real Estate Asset Manager
- Emergency Planning/Managerment Officer
- Industrial Designer
- Interior and spatial designer
- Construction Lawyer
- Remember 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines. During your during your degree you will develop many skills that are valued in a variety of sectors, including consultancy, management and information technology.
*You can also look at other course pages depending on other modules you have taken and/or are interested in*
Further study at Loughborough University:
The School of Architecture, Building and Civil Engineering offers postgraduate courses in a variety of disciplines
The School also offers PhD / MPhil research opportunities
Further study elsewhere:
Postgraduate taught programmes:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Architecture graduates do?
This is a new course with its first students graduating in summer 2021. Figures provided below are representative for the School of Architecture, Building and Civil Engineering as a whole.
Six months after graduating in 2017…
- Main activity: 97% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
- Mean salary: £27,542 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
- Industry locations (professional level roles): 12% stayed in the East Midlands, 32% in London, 19% in the East of England, 10% in the South East, 8% in the West Midlands, 7% in Yorkshire & the Humber, 6% in the North West, 4% in the South West, and 1% in Wales.
- Industry sectors (professional level roles): 61% were in construction, 25% were in professional, scientific and technical activities, 5% were in transport and storage, 3% were in manufacturing, 2% were in public administration and defence; compulsory social security, 2% were in information and communication, 2% were in wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles, 1% were in accommodation and food services activities and 1% were in real estate activities.
AECOM, Arup, Arcadis, BAM, British Army, Faithful + Gould, Kier Group, Laing O’Rourke, London Projects Ltd, Mace, Morgan Sindall, Mott MacDonald, Skanska, Vinci Construction UK.
Army Officer, Commercial Manager, Construction Manager, Geotechnical Engineer, Graduate Civil Engineer, Graduate Site Manager, Graduate Structural Engineer, Professional Quantity Surveyor, Project Quality Surveyor, Site Engineer, Technical Services Graduate.
Further Study included:
MSc Environmental Engineering.
- View Graduate Profiles from this department
Resources to research career areas
- Prospects - Architect Profile
- Becoming an Architect RIBA
- ARB Student Handbook
- RIBA Professional Education and Development Resource (PEDR)
- RIBA Chartership
- RIBA East Midlands
- RIBA Careers Advice
- RIBA Future Architects
- Directory of firms involved in conservation and restoration
- RIBA Future Trends Survey
- Architects Journal
- Follow industry related interest groups on LinkedIn e.g. Architecture Career Forum, RIBA, Death by Architecture, Architect, Architects Journal
Resources to find experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further.
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- See Careers Online on our website for vacancies and opportunities
Other useful links
- Building Design Jobs
- Career Structure
- Careers In Construction
- Architecture jobs from RIBA
- Architecture Jobs UK
- Dezeen Jobs Listing
- Student Ladder
- Check out public sector listings such as jobsgopublic or publicsectorcareers
- Specialist recruitment consultancies for architecture e.g. Hays
- Agency Central - recruitment agency directory
- Where Can I Find Work Experience in Architecture? - All About Careers
- How Can I Increase My Employability? - All About Careers
- Career Ladder: Architecture/Property Placements and Internships and Graduate schemes
- Architecture CVs article - design inspiration from Arch Daily
- RIBA article Writing your first CV for Part 1 year out architecture jobs
- RIBA What's On
- LRSA Events
Professional bodies, sector and labour market information (LMI)
- Royal Institute of British Architects
- Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland
- Royal Society of Ulster Architects
- Architects Registration Board
- Leicestershire and Rutland Society of Architects
Sector and labour market information (LMI):
- Arch Daily Architecture news
- UK Architecture company listing
- Designboom Architecture projects in the UK
- Dezeen Architecture News and Projects
- Choosing an Architecture Practice - All About Careers