Frequently asked questions

Off campus

Do I need a TV Licence for each television in the house?

Yes - if you have a separate Tenancy Agreement for your individual room.

If you have a Joint tenancy with the other occupiers of the property - only one TV Licence is required irrespective of how many televisions there are in the house.

If you have a joint tenancy and your landlord has provided a television in your house, they may have also provided the TV licence. You should check if this is the case, as this licence would also cover any additional televisions.

For further information about who requires a licence and how to apply please visit TV Licencing or contact 0300 790 6090.

It may be possible to claim a partial refund for the Summer holiday period if you are not renting for that period.

The maximum fine is £1000 for not having a licence.

How do I find accommodation off campus?

We advertise properties on behalf of local landlords. This includes a variety of accommodation, ranging from a room in a shared house to larger privately owned halls of residence.

All the landlords advertising with us have been independently accredited, and the properties have been graded and approved by the University.

Details of these properties can be found on the Studentpad website, on display in the Student Accommodation Centre and via handouts available at campus outlets.

How do I view and apply for the property?

The landlord's contact details will be on the property advertisement.

Please contact him/her directly to arrange a viewing. The application process will be directly with the Landlord. Read your Tenancy Agreement carefully before you sign and make sure that you understand the terms that it contains. Terms will vary from one landlord to another.

If in any doubt about whether to sign, get advice from the Student Accommodation Centre or the Student Support Centre.

How will my rent be collected?

Methods of rent payment will vary from one landlord to another and this is something that you should arrange directly with your landlord.

Once I have signed a Tenancy Agreement can I leave the property?

The Agreement you sign will be an ‘Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement’, for a fixed period of time. You and your landlord are legally committed to the full length of the tenancy. If you are able to find a replacement tenant, your landlord should not unreasonably refuse to accept them, but they are not under any obligation to find a replacement for you.

What is my deposit for?

A deposit is taken to secure the property and to be held until the end of the Tenancy to cover any damage.  All deposits legally have to be protected by a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme, be sure to check this with your Landlord.

What is provided in the property?

All properties advertised through the Student Accommodation Centre need to be furnished to a set standard.

All bedrooms require a bed, desk, office chair, chest of drawers, wardrobe and shelves.

Any communal areas require enough soft seating for the number of tenants unless this is supplied in the bedroom.

Please note bedding, cooking utensils, cutlery and crockery are not normally provided.

Who do I contact if I have a problem?

Any problems should initially be raised directly with your landlord.

If you are not able to resolve the matter, the Student Accommodation Centre team are available to help with any problems or concerns you may have and offer advice on all housing matters.

The Student Support Centre in the Bridgeman building also offers advice in all areas including housing.

Will I be responsible for the bills in the property?

Yes - you will be responsible for the payment of any gas, electricity and water rates unless your property is let as ‘all-inclusive’. Some landlords will include the water rates but no other bills. Where properties are let on an 'all-inclusive' basis', the landlord will normally set a limit on the amount included within the contract and you will be charged for any additional consumption. You must check exactly what is included before you sign the contract.

If you are responsible, you will need to contact the suppliers to register on arrival at the property with the meter readings and again when leaving at the end of the tenancy.

Will I have to pay council tax?

Properties occupied by full-time students are exempt. If you receive a bill please collect a Council Tax Exemption Form from Admin 2/Finance Office to give to Charnwood Borough Council.

If any of the tenants are working, check how this could affect the exemption with Charnwood Borough Council. If only one tenant is working, they should be able to claim a single occupier discount, providing that all of the other occupants are exempt.

Will I need to arrange contents insurance?

Yes - you will need to arrange suitable insurance cover for your own personal belongngs.

Your landlord will have insurance cover for the property itself and his/her contents only.

Will the property be cleaned before my arrival?

The property should be clean and ready for you to move in. If you are not happy with the condition of the property or you notice any damage, you must point this out to your landlord straight away and indicate this on the inventory.

Taking photographs may also be helpful to refer to in the unlikely event of any dispute at the end of the contract.