Loughborough University Accommodation – Covid-19 information
In line with Government policy, the University moved to restricted Campus operations from 20 March. Around 500 students have remained on Campus throughout the lockdown and others have travelled home.
The Government is relaxing some of the lockdown restrictions. This is happening in a controlled way and introduces further rules to ensure the safety of individuals as we move into the next phase of coping with the pandemic. The Government are warning people to ‘Stay Alert’ to control the spread of the virus and to observe social distancing guidelines.
This situation is complex and has demanded a significant amount of planning to ensure that the University is in the best possible position to meet the needs of our students and respond quickly to the latest Government announcements during this unprecedented time.
For students who have remained living in Halls of Residence and unable to return home, summer vacation accommodation will be available for you if required at the end of your contractual agreement. This accommodation will be available on campus in designated Hall of Residence. No one will be able to stay on in their current room past the end of their accommodation contract.
More information will follow as to how you can apply for summer vacation accommodation.
Please be aware that the information relating to University Accommodation will continue to be updated as the situation develops.
Summer Term Accommodation Contract Options
We have developed 3 options which you should now consider for students who are:
- Currently living on Campus and who want to remain in their accommodation.
- Currently living on Campus but who wish to vacate their accommodation.
- Currently not living on Campus but who still have contracts in halls accommodation.
Until the University is able to restore campus activity to near normal levels, any student with a University accommodation contract, who is living away from campus next term, will not be expected to pay rent until they return to hall.
As a result, if you are currently not living on campus, we can confirm that we will not be charging for accommodation from the start of the Summer Term (Sunday 26 April 2020) until either you advise us of an earlier return date, or the University is able to restore campus activity.
Depending on which of the 3 options applies to you, please see the following information:
Students remaining in halls will continue to be charged accommodation fees as per their contract.
In order to reflect the reduction in service due to the restriction on campus operations, as a goodwill gesture we will be applying a 12.5% reduction off your third instalment accommodation fee.
Students remaining in halls but planning to vacate their room as soon as current restrictions allow them to travel, can then apply to be released from their contract.
You will need to complete the Early Accommodation Release Request form as soon as you know your vacation date after the travel restrictions are lifted. Students will be charged accommodation fees until their vacation date with the same 12.5% reduction summarised above.
Unfortunately we can now confirm that, due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, the University will not be able to restore campus activity to near normal levels before the end of the Summer Term.
Undergraduate students will not be able to return to halls of residence.
Consequently, Undergraduate student's halls accommodation Licence will now be treated as terminated, you will not be charged for accommodation from 26 April 2020 (or your departure date if later).
The University will allow Postgraduate students to return to halls from Saturday 11 July 2020.You will be charged for your accommodation from 11 July 2020 to the remainder of your Licence period. If you are unable to return to campus (or choose not to do so), you may request to be released from your Licence. Please see FAQ's
Collection of Property from Rooms
The University has now finalised the arrangements for collection of belongings from your room. There are 2 options available to you, you may book an appointment slot to collect your belongings from Thursday 18 June or arrange for packing and storage or courier/freighting using a storage company.
Unfortunately due to the ongoing situation, there will be no storage facility available on campus this year. You will not be able to leave your belongings in your room.
Option 1 - Booking an appointment slot to collect your belongings
The Campus Services protocol sets out a process for you to book an appointment slot to collect belongings that have been left in hall. You should not come to campus without arranging a time slot, if you do then you will not be allowed access to halls. Our aim is to provide you and students who are still residing in halls with a safe procedure for belongings to be removed.
It is imperative that you should not return to the University until you have followed these instructions as this process needs to be phased in alignment with social distancing precautions.
- You will be able to collect your belongings from Thursday 18 June to Friday 10 July 2020, slots are available Monday to Friday between 08:00 - 18:00.
- For Unite halls - The Holt, Harry French and William Morris, you will have until Friday 3 July 2020, slots are available Monday to Sunday between 08:00 - 20:00.
- You will only be able to gain access to your room through booking a slot and following the instructions.
- You will be able to book a 2 hour appointment slot from Monday 8 June (available from Wednesday 10 June for The Holt, Harry French and William Morris Halls).
- You can bring one member of your household to assist in the collection of your belongings. The booking slot should provide you with enough time to collect all belongings and hand back the key.
- You will need to bring sufficient packing material with you to ensure all items can be packed and taken away.
- If you miss your booking slot, you will need to re-book using the online form for another date.
- You should not attend site if you or anyone with you has COVID-19 symptoms or is shielding.
- If you do not want to collect your items, please let your hall reception know and we will dispose of your items for you.
- When you are on campus to clear your room please ensure that you collect parcels/mail that have arrived for you.
You will be able to book an appointment slot using our online store. This link will be live from Monday 8 June. Further information on Collecting belongings from hall can be found on our student FAQ’s
Option 2 - Arrange for packing and storage or courier/freighting using a storage company
We understand there are additional challenges faced by our students who are currently overseas or unable to travel to campus to collect their belongings. You may also decide that this option is preferable to negate the need for you to travel to campus. We have arranged with storage company, Student Storage Experts to provide a packing, storage or courier/freighting service. Indicative costs and options are detailed below:
1) Providing Packing, Storage and Return of items
Cost for the average order (July to Sept) - 12 x weeks packing and storage (3 x large, 2 x small boxes and one suitcase, inc boxes, bubble wrap and tape) is £186.
2) Providing Packing Materials, Storage and Return of items (No Packing)
Cost for the average order (July to Sept) - 12 x weeks storage (3 x large, 2 x small boxes and one suitcase, Inc boxes, bubble wrap and tape) is £169.
3) Providing packing and UK courier service
Approximately £60 packing fee (for 5 items – i.e. 3 x large, 2 x small boxes and one suitcase) to supply materials, pack items and forward to courier.
Plus, charge of £1.50 per mile for courier service anywhere in mainland UK up to 5 items. There is a £6 charge for additional items (the charge is just for outgoing mileage).
4) Providing packing and freight service outside of UK
Approximately £120 fee (for 5 items – i.e. 3 x large, 2 x small boxes and one suitcase) to supply materials, pack items and facilitate collection by Parcel Force.
Costs thereafter for the freight service will be provided as per Parcel Force pricing, depending on weight, size and country. Insurance options will also be provided and quoted.
To obtain a detailed quote and book one of these services, please Book Here.
Further information on Student Storage Experts service:
- Please complete this form as comprehensively as possible and add as much detail in the comments section as you can. We will email you to confirm the details of your booking.
- The collection date should be your preferred date as these dates need to be agreed with your accommodation Managers. If storing, you will be asked for a return date so please use your best date estimation for your return back to the UK. If the date alters by 7 days either way then we do not charge or refund. If the 7 days is exceeded then we will refund or charge either way. Please ensure you declare any items that are considered to be valuable. We provide £100 of insurance for each box or piece of luggage stored with us.
- You will receive confirmation that the order has been placed and we will contact you with a confirmed packing date once this has been agreed with your accommodation Managers.
- You will receive an email prior to the packing day to inform you when it will be taking place.
- If you require a WhatsApp video call to identify items in communal areas or for peace of mind then we are happy to call you. Packing on average takes an hour so we can't provide this service for the duration but it can be used to ensure the packing of sensitive or valuable items etc.
- Once the packing is complete, all boxes and luggage will be sealed securely and labelled. You will be sent the details of the packing including the quantities of boxes and luggage that are required for courier/freight or stored with us. We will attach an invoice including the courier/freight costs or storage period and this has to be paid within 7 days of the notification.
- Your items will be stored in a secure commercial storage facility that is staffed 24 hrs and has CCTV.
- We return your stored items to your new address when you return back to University. Please confirm your return date as soon as you know in order that we can return your belongings on your preferred date.
- For peace of mind we employ staff who are vetted by Leicestershire Police and we will take all the necessary precautions to pack your belongings securely and treat your belongings with care and respect. If you have any queries then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
Disclaimer: Please note that the University has negotiated a discounted rate for our students with SSE, but the University receives no commission from this service and students are at liberty to appoint an alternative supplier if you choose to do so.
Currently away from Campus
If you are currently away from Campus you must be absolutely clear that you are not allowed to return to your room unless you have exceptional circumstances and given permission by your Hall Manager. All access to buildings has been removed - if you do not have permission, security will not allow you access.
Currently residing in hall
It is your responsibility to follow government guidelines whilst residing on campus. In order to support the UK Governments' request to social distance for health reasons and to protect you, we ask that you also comply with social distancing by not having visitors and guests to your accommodation. Please contact your Warden if you need any help or support.
If you are planning to vacate your room early and wish to be released from your contract, if you have not already done so, you will need to complete the Early Accommodation Release Request form, advising us of the date you intend to vacate. Please clear your room and kitchen of all your personal possessions, leave your keys in the room and email your Hall Manager to advise them that they have been left.
For your reassurance, the University has been working with Endsleigh to ensure that any possessions remaining in your room are still insured, even if you’re not in your accommodation for longer than 60 days. For further information please visit Endsleigh’s website.
We would like to offer reassurance that our accommodation will remain open throughout; this is your home, you are free to return to your room and resume your stay until the end of your contract providing that government restrictions allow you to travel and you have not requested an early release.
All students who want to be releasedfrom their contract need to submit an Early Accommodation Release Request form to the Student Accommodation Centre.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have left my accommodation, have removed my belongings and do not plan to return; can I be released from my contract?
You have the option of being released from your accommodation contract from the start of the Summer Term. If this applies to you, and you would like to be released from your accommodation contract and not be charged the third instalment, you will need to complete the Early Accommodation Release Request form.
Please ensure that you have arranged return of your keys (if you have not already done so).
If you intend to post these, you should ensure that they are in a secure envelope, together with details of your name and student ID. Please ensure that they are addressed to your specific hall and email your Hall Manager to advise them that they have been posted.
The full address of your hall and the contact details for your Hall Manager can be found on the relevant Hall of Residence web page.
If you wish to be released from your contract but still have belongings in your room that you would like to collect at a later date, you will still be released from the start of the Summer Term if you complete the Early Accommodation Release Request form.
Please see details on removing your belongings from your room under 'Collection of Property from Room' as above.
If you no longer require any of the belongings left in your room and are happy for all of them to be disposed of, please advise us on the form.
What happens if I have been released from my contract and do not arrange to collect my belongings by 10 July 2020 (3 July 2020 for Unite Halls)?
We strongly encourage you to arrange collection using one of the 2 options provided - either book an appointment slot to collect your belongings or arrange for packing by the storage company. Please note that if you are unable to travel to campus you may give permission for someone else to collect your belongings on your behalf. We must remind you that there is no storage available in our Halls.
If your belongings have not been collected by the above date, as per clause 38 of the Licence Terms & Conditions, Campus Services will arrange for a storage company to pack and store your belongings and pass on all costs to the student. If you do not want your belongings, please let your hall reception know and we will dispose of your items for you.
I am still in my room; however I plan to vacate my room, am I going to be released from my contract?
If you wish to be released from your contract but are still in your room, you will still be released if you complete the Early Accommodation Release Request form, advising us of the date you intend to vacate.
Please see details on removing your belongings from your room under 'Collection of Property from Room' as above.
Unfortunately we can now confirm that, due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, the University will not be able to restore campus activity to near normal levels before the end of the Summer Term, therefore our Halls of Residence will not re-open for Undergraduate students.
Consequently, halls accommodation Licence will now be treated as terminated, you will not be charged for accommodation from 26 April 2020 (or your departure date if later).
Please see information on collecting belongings.
The University will allow Postgraduate students to return to halls from Saturday 11 July 2020. You will be charged for your accommodation from 11 July 2020 to the remainder of your Licence period. If you are unable to return to campus (or choose not to do so), you may request to be released from your Licence. You will need to complete the Early Accommodation Release Request form.
If you request an early accommodation release and have not cleared the belongings from your room by Friday 10 July 2020, you will be charged accommodation fees from 11 July 2020 until your room is cleared and the keys returned.
Please see information on collecting belongings.
If you still have belongings in your room and intend to return to remove them, you should retain your keys in order to do this. When you are able to return and have cleared your room, please take your key to the hall Reception. A key drop off point will be available.
If you are currently in hall and leaving, please leave your keys in the room and email your Hall Manager to advise them that they have been left.
If you are not intending to return, your keys should be returned to your Hall Reception as soon as possible. If you intend to post these, you should ensure that they are in a secure envelope, together with details of your name and student ID. Please ensure that they are addressed to your specific hall (as detailed below) and email your Hall Manager to advise them that they have been posted.
Return of Keys
FAO Hall Manager, ***** Hall.
Please complete relevant details for your hall, hall address can be found on right hand side of your Hall of Residence page on our website.
Please note: your keys should be returned by 10 July, there will be a charge levied for keys that are not returned.
When will my release be processed?
From the 27 April, we will have a better understanding of how many Early Accommodation Release requests we need to process. We ask that you bear with us and wait for us to communicate with you. Once your release has been processed, your Room Bond payment of £150 will be returned to your University Student Finance account. The Student Finance office will send you a statement to confirm any remaining balance on your account. (please contact the Student Finance office to arrange for any accommodation fees to be refunded to you if in credit). To prevent any delay in processing payments/refunds to you, Student Finance has requested that all students register their bank account details on Learn.
Information about paying for your accommodation can be found on the Student Finance webpage, along with their contact details.
If you have paid for your accommodation fees in full
You do not need to do anything apart from submit an Early Accommodation Release Request Form. Once we have actioned your release, please contact the Student Finance office to arrange for the Summer Term accommodation fees to be refunded to you. To prevent any delay in processing payments/refunds to you, Student Finance has requested that all students register their bank account details on Learn.
If you pay for your accommodation fees by termly payments, direct debit payments or a payment plan
You do not need to do anything else apart from submit an Early Accommodation Release Request Form. We will not be taking the next Direct Debit payment (which was due on 15 May). The Student Finance office will send you a statement to confirm any remaining balance on your account. To prevent any delay in processing payments/refunds to you, Student Finance has requested that all students register their bank account details on Learn.
Thank you for your patience as we continue to respond to queries and questions during this challenging time. For any further information, please contact the Student Accommodation Centre at email@example.com.