Originally from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Mirella has a PhD in Design from PUC-Rio, where she developed a research related to postmodern typography in Brazil (2010). MA in Communication Design by Central Saint Martins, The London Institute (1998). BA in Industrial Design from ESDI-UERJ (1995). She is currently a full time Lecturer for Graphic Communication and Illustration at Loughborough University, UK. In the GC&I at Lboro Uni she is a collaborator in the Design Research Unit which is just starting to develop. For 16 years she was a Full Professor 1 and researcher at ESPM-Rio where she has been a lecturer in the BA in Advertising and Propaganda in the BA in Graphic Design, as well as at MPGEC - Professional Masters in Creative Economy Management. She belongs to the Editorial Board of Diálogo com a Economia Criativa magazine. She is a collaborator of the LEMBRAR - Laboratory of Brazilian Memory Studies and Representation, from ESPM-Rio.
Research Group: Design Research Unit (School of Design and Creative Arts at Lboro University, UK); LEMBRAR (ESPM Rio, Brazil).
Principal research activities and interests: Typography as a visual language; Design and Memory; Design and the Creative Industry.
Typography; Typography as a visual language; Postmodern typography and graphic design; Graphic Memory; Design and the Creative industry in Brazil.
- ACA801 - Visual Research in Practice, Provocations Project, Typography Project
- ACA802 - Visual Methods in Practice
- ACB804 - Lecture Series
- ACC807 - Synergising Directions in Graphic Communication and Illustration Practice
- ACC808 - Industrial Intelligence in Graphic Communication and Illustration Practice
- ACC809 - Focusing Directions in Graphic Communication and Illustration Practice