The Science of Wheelchair Rugby
The Inaugural International Wheelchair Rugby Federation Sports Science and Sports Medicine Conference 2021 in partnership with the Peter Harrison Centre for Disability Sport (Loughborough University) – will bring together practitioners, coaches, medical staff and students interested in sports science, medicine, physiotherapy, strength and conditioning and coaching.
About this event:
This virtual event will cover the historical insights in sports science and medicine by experts from the world of wheelchair rugby covering topics on:
Classification, thermoregulation, autonomic dysreflexia, shoulder health, nutrition and much more, which will provide a platform for future study.
The event is delivered by:
- Prof Vicky Goosey-Tolfrey, Director of the Peter Harrison Centre for Disability Sport (PHC), Loughborough University, and IPC Paralympic Scientific Award recipient 2017
- Dr Viola Altman, one of the most experienced IWRF Classifiers in the sport and Honorary Clinical Lecturer in Rehabilitation at Loughborough University
In collaboration with IWRF:
- Steve Griffiths, IWRF CEO.
- Dr Ken Lee, IWRF Chief Medical Officer and Associate Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Clement J. Zablocki Veterans Administration Medical Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (USA).
Supported by Dr Sven Hoekstra, Research Assistant of the PHC at Loughborough University.
Contact and booking details
- Booking required?
- Booking information
- Online booking coming soon!
A draft programme for the event
|13:00 – 13:15||INTRODUCTION|
|Richard Allcroft – IWRF
Vicky Goosey-Tolfrey – overview
|13:15 – 14:00||CLASSIFICATION AND SCIENCE (SPORT) – Chairperson Vicky Goosey-Tolfrey|
|13:15 – 13:45||Viola Altmann – Classification (on-demand video)|
|13:45 – 14:00||Ingrid Kouwijzer – Trunk muscle activation/ trunk stability in wheelchair rugby|
|14:00 – 15:00||WHEELCHAIR RUGBY PERFORMANCE (SPORT) – Chairperson Sven Hoekstra|
|14:00 – 14:15||Sonja de Groot – Field testing for wheelchair rugby|
|14:15 – 14:30||Riemer Vegter – Sprint performance and asymmetries in wheelchair rugby|
|14:30 – 14:45||Rienk van de Slikke – Wearable technologies – mobility performance|
|15:30 – 17:30||PHYSIOLOGY AND HEALTH (MEDICINE) – Chairperson Ken Lee (IWRF)|
|15:30 – 15:50||Cameron Gee – Cardiovascular capacity and AD in wheelchair rugby players|
|15:50 – 16:05||Claudio Perret – Respiratory function|
|16:05 – 16:35||Katy Griggs – Thermoregulation|
|16:35 – 17:05||Joelle Flueck – Nutrition|
|17:05 – 17:35||Fransiska Bossuyt – Shoulder health in wheelchair rugby|
|17:45 – 18:15||PANEL DISCUSSION – Chairperson Viola Altman|
|17:45 -18:15||Jens Sauerbier/ Viola Altmann – Wrap up and discussion about future research needs|
|18:15||Ken Lee and Vicky Tolfrey – Close|