29 January 2020
CA for Beginners
Registration: £50 for the day (including refreshments, but not lunch).
We shall keep numbers limited, to help the hands-on feel.
Please book your place here.
About this event
This is a day's workshop training for those who are interested in Conversation Analysis, and are perhaps thinking of applying it in their own research project.
No previous knowledge is assumed, and the day comprises lectures, data sessions and group exercises with a distinct hands-on feel.
We will cover:
- An introduction to CA - is it a kind of discourse analysis? interactional inguistics? or what?
- The basics: how people design their turns at talk, and what happens in the next turn
- Group work: an exercise in taking apart some lines of interaction
- Why does CA use funny transcription?
- Two data sessions: group work analysng episodes of applied CA
- Buiding a collection of phenomena for your research project
- Informal self-test and discussion
The day will start at 10.00 am and end at 5.00 pm. The draft programme is available here: Beginners CA Day Schedule
- Charles Antaki
- Send email