3 September 2021
CA Beginners Workshop
Presented By Charles Antaki, Marco Pino, Jessica Robles & Saul Albert
About this event
This workshop is meant for anyone who has a growing interest in conversation analysis – perhaps they have heard of it, come across it in their studies, or are working in a group which uses it as an approach for research, and would like to know more. It would also be useful for anyone starting out on research which may take them down the line of analysing talk in great detail.
The kinds of questions we will cover include:
- What is the relationship between CA and discourse analysis?
- Why does CA insist on the close analysis of talk, with very detailed transcription?
- What does CA us about what people are doing in every day in counters?
- Can we use CA to understand institutional encounters, for example medical consultations or police interviews?
- How can I use CA in my research?
The day will cover these elements of working with recorded data:
- How to transcribe, how to identify the components of turns
- How to identify actions
- How to build a collection
- How to develop an argument in conversation analysis
- £30 for waged academics (staff members, post-docs, funded postgraduates..), and
- £15 for the unwaged.
- If you work for a commercial organisation and would like to attend, please get in touch with us to discuss a fee.
Please first apply to Charles Antaki to express your interest.
Once the attenders' list has been finalised, registration will be via the Loughborough university Online Store
There may be discretion according to ability to pay – please contact us for further details.
- Prof Charles Antaki
- +44 (0)1509 228362
- Send email