Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 222222
Loughborough University

Centre for Innovative and Collaborative Construction Engineering

Prospective students

Prospective students

I am an overseas student - can I apply for the Engineering Doctorate Scheme?

Due to Tier 4 visa restrictions on industry placements, this is only available to UK/EU applicants.

Would being accepted on the EngD course mean a change of employer to an industrial sponsoring company?

Yes, unless the company you are presently working for is willing to sponsor you.

Would I be able to work/study from home?

No. Research Engineers are required to be based at the sponsoring company and to attend the University as necessary to meet with their academic supervisors and to study taught postgraduate modules.

What are the procedures and criteria for candidate selection?

Candidates must meet the educational requirements for the programme as stated in the literature.  The Application for the Engineering Doctorate form must be completed and returned to the Research Student Office. The Centre shortlist potential applicants and invite them to an interview at Loughborough. If successful these are matched to suitable projects submitted by sponsoring companies. Candidates are then invited to a second interview at the company.

Will employment be offered after the RE has completed the EngD?

The sponsoring company may offer a permanent position to the RE on successful completion of the EngD. However, this is not guaranteed.

Is the Research Engineer bound to work with the sponsoring company on completion of the EngD?

No, however, it is expected that the programme will enable REs to subsequently secure a permanent position within the sponsoring company.

I already hold a Masters, do I still need to take the taught element?

Yes, all EngD candidates need to take the taught element but those who already hold an appropriate MSc have a reduced taught component of 60 credits over the two years.

Can REs without an MSc obtain one on route?

No, but REs who do not hold an MSc are required to take 180 credits over the first two years. The dissertation submitted at the end of the second year can be used as part of the second year report.

What is the minimum and maximum time that the EngD can be obtained?

The minimum time taken to obtain the EngD is 3 years and 6 months and the maximum is 4 years and 6 months.

Do the Research Engineers work the same hours as other University students?

No. The Research Engineer will be expected to work the same hours, holiday entitlement, sick leave etc. as other employees of the sponsoring company. Therefore, this should be discussed with the company.

Who employs the Research Engineer - the University or the Company?

The Research Engineer is classed as a full-time research student of the university who is based in industry.

Can the Engineering Doctorate be undertaken on a part-time basis?

No, the scheme is only available full-time.



Contact us

+44 (0)1509 222623

The Centre Administrator
Loughborough University
LE11 3TU

Join us on Linkedin