Advice for staff and job applicants

Employment status during the transition period

The UK has triggered Article 50 of the Treaty on the European Union and is due to leave the EU in October 2019. Discussions and negotiations are ongoing regarding the implications for this and during this transition period, there are no changes to EU members’ status in the UK.

This means that you do not need to register or apply to live and work in the UK. You may however, choose to apply for one of the following as a way of confirming your immigration status in the UK:

  • If you have resided in the UK for less than 5 years you can apply for Pre-Settled Status
  • If you have resided in the UK for five years or more you can apply for Settled Status
  • If you have resided in the UK for at least 6 years you may be eligible to apply for British Citizenship

Further details including how to apply are available from the link below.

Employment status post-Brexit

The Government has published its offer to EU citizens living in the UK and has clarified that those who have been here for more than 5 years will be able to apply for ‘settled status’ which will enable them to live and work in the UK without restriction.

EU citizens will have up to 2 years after we leave the EU to apply for settled status and the Government also aims to set arrangements up so that those wishing to apply before October 2019 can do so.  The Government has stated that those with a Permanent Residence Certificate will be able to apply for ‘settled status’ via a simple process and will not have to complete a residence assessment again. It will cost no more than applying for a passport. The latest information on the relevant procedures is available from the link below.

Those who have not been in the UK for 5 years will be able to apply to stay until they have reached 5 years after which they will be able to apply for ‘settled status’. Healthcare, pension and other benefit provisions will be unaffected by Brexit. Guidance on the status of EU citizens in the UK is available below.

Details of arrangements for people wishing to come to work in the UK after Brexit have not yet been clarified.

We will continue to monitor the situation and will provide updates as and when there is more information available.

If you have any concerns about your immigration status, please contact your HR Partner in the first instance. 

Pensions information

In the UK, all staff are automatically enrolled into a pension scheme. Find out more about the University’s pension schemes.

If you leave the pension scheme if you decide to leave the UK, you will be able to leave your benefits in the scheme until your retirement age or you will be able to transfer it to another pension scheme, which may be an overseas scheme. In order to do this, the new scheme must be recognised by HMRC and further information is available from the HMRC website.

Once you have reached retirement age, you will be able to receive any accrued pension benefits that have not been transferred to a different scheme. You can do this by having your payments paid into a UK bank account and then transferring the funds into an international bank account or by having the funds paid into an overseas bank account. There may be a small charge for this. 

Advice for job applicants

Loughborough University is a great place to work. Find out more about working at Loughborough University.

If you are an EU national and you secure a role at the University during the transition period, i.e. between now and March 2019, you will be able to relocate to and work in the UK without restriction. The exact details of the arrangements beyond October 2019 are not yet fully clear, although once you have spent five years in the UK you will be able to apply for ‘settled status’ (see above). The Government has pledged that arrangements will be made for those already in the UK to remain living and working here.  The University will continue to monitor developments in this area and provide advice as it becomes available.  

Further advice

You may wish to seek the advice of a specialist immigration adviser. The following UK government website provides you with details of how to find one.

You can also sign up for alerts from the UK Government on latest developments.

Universities UK has been lobbying the Government on Brexit on behalf of all Universities in the UK. Further information is available from the Universities UK website.