To provide strategic and operational leadership of the University’s research and enterprise agendas.
You will be responsible for the University’s Research & Enterprise Office.
Strategy and analysis
- Leading with the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research), the development and the implementation of the University Research Strategy as embodied in the CALIBRE framework.
- Leading with the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Enterprise), the development and the implementation of the University Enterprise Strategy.
- Providing strategic oversight of the REF2021 submission, maximising financial and reputational returns to the University; to advise University Research Committee on the strategic management, including performance monitoring and management, of the University’s research base to maximise performance and returns.
- Providing strategic oversight of the HEIF Strategy and the annual HE-BCI and KEF submissions; to advise University Enterprise Committee on the strategic management of enterprise to maximise performance and returns.
- Ensuring the operations of the office support the leadership roles of the Associate Deans for Enterprise and Research in the Schools.
- Ensuring the appropriate provision of specialist expertise and advice to the leadership of the University on all issues relating to research, knowledge exchange and enterprise policy and practice and the legal requirements relating to the governance and management of research and enterprise.
- Supporting the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research) and the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Enterprise) in ensuring high standards of integrity in all aspects of the University’s research and enterprise activities, including research conduct and responsible use of indicators and metrics.
Planning and organising
- Playing a major part, using the specialist skills of the University’s professional teams, in achieving a step change in the University’s research income and its engagement with major research funders, including the research councils, industry, charities, government bodies, the EU, etc., by the provision of rigorous planning, advice, support and/or project management for both conventional and more complex, collaborative bids for funding.
- Playing a major part, using the specialist skills of the University’s professional teams, in achieving a step change in the University’s engagement with external partners including contract research, consultancy, training and IP exploitation, with the aim to increase impact, income and influence.
- Ensuring high quality planning, advice, delivery and project management of all aspects of the University’s research, knowledge exchange and enterprise activities.
- Managing the budget of the service and planning and managing those resources needed to deliver a high quality functional service.
Growing capacity and influence
- Playing a leading role in collaborative alliances, including Midlands Innovation, with other professional service providers within the University and broader HE sector and ensuring that best practice is embedded in all areas of the management and support of research, knowledge exchange and enterprise.
- Representing and promoting the interests of the University at a senior level to external policy making, funding and other bodies at a regional, national and international level in the areas of research, knowledge exchange and enterprise and to enhance the reputation and influence of the University.
- Representing the University as Non-Executive Director of subsidiary or other companies, as required.
- Maximising external funding opportunities such as UKRI, Government Industrial Strategy, Global Challenge Research Fund, Industry and the third sector.
- Maximising partnership opportunities with non-academic organisations with a focus on generating impact and societal value, including responsibility for one or more corporate relationships.
Improving the Service
- Acting on the processes led by the Service, improving them in conjunction with other colleagues and embedding the principles of the University’s service improvement approach.
- Working with other Services and with Schools to improve all research and knowledge exchange-related processes.
- Providing professional leadership and direction to the staff in the Research and Enterprise Office, ensuring that performance is managed effectively through objective setting and effective personal and professional development plans to support and improve the delivery of a high-quality service.
Points to Note
The purpose of this job description is to indicate the general level of duties and responsibility of the post. The detailed duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character or level of responsibility entailed.
All staff have a statutory responsibility to take reasonable care of themselves, others and the environment and to prevent harm by their acts or omissions. All staff are therefore required to adhere to the University’s Health, Safety and Environmental Policy & Procedures.
All staff should hold a duty and commitment to observing the University’s Equality & Diversity policy and procedures at all times. Duties must be carried out in accordance with relevant Equality & Diversity legislation and University policies/ procedures.
Successful completion of probation will be dependent on attendance at the University’s mandatory courses which include Respecting Diversity and, where appropriate, Recruitment and Selection.