Student frequently asked questions

Answers to some of the questions you're asking most regularly.

Campus access

Is the Students’ Union open?

Some commercial services will remain open but bars will be closed. The Students’ Union Executive and the services they provide will still be available.

Is the Campus Nursery open?

Yes, it is still open.

Are the on-campus dentist, optician and hairdresser open?

The hairdresser is currently closed, in line with Government policy. The dental surgery and optician are open.

Can we collect our parcels, post and printing from Herbert Manzoni Building?

Yes, but you must ensure you socially distance from others as normal and follow the instructions displayed on any signage in the building.

Is the Library open?

There is a click and collect service available as the lower levels of the Library are still closed. Levels 3 and 4 are open as essential, individual study spaces for students on campus and the Library is open 8.30am-2am Monday-Friday, 9am-2am on Saturdays and 10am-2am on Sundays. You must book your study space.

More information on Library services is available here.

Covid-19 testing

Do I need to book a test when I return to campus?

Yes, all students returning to the University must book and take a rapid Covid test at our on-site Test Centre before accessing accommodation or facilities. You can book your test online.

If your lateral flow test is positive, you will need to take a confirmatory PCR test.

Do I have to pay for my Covid test?

No, it is free.

How often do I need to take Covid test?

You need to take a test at least once a week while you are on campus.

If your lateral flow test is positive, you will need to take a confirmatory PCR test.

Where is the test centre?

Tests are carried out at the Martial Arts Centre on campus and it is open 8am-5.30pm, Monday to Friday and 10am-3pm, Saturday and Sunday.

Can I book a test elsewhere?

Students may book a test elsewhere if they have a significant reason to do so. For example, you may be a commuting student, or you may have other accessibility issues which prevent you from using the University’s test centre.

If this is the case, you will need to provide the email or text proof you receive from the NHS so your record can be updated. If you are using an approved at-home testing kit, you will need to send a photo that clearly shows the unique number on the Lateral Flow Device alongside the date and time to

Learning and teaching

Will all my lectures be online?

The University is planning to keep in person teaching a significant element of the Loughborough student experience and will continue to do so whilst government guidance allows and can ensure that it is as safe as possible.

Over the last three months, we have been reviewing the use of space on our campuses to maximise the accommodation available for in person teaching and developing robust health and safety procedures. Therefore, we plan to fuse in-person and online teaching delivery, running in person teaching where it is reasonable, practical and possible to do so.

Fuller details of how we plan to deliver the different elements of your programme for the next academic year are available on the website and form an additional annex to our existing Statement of Intent.

What should I do if my lecturer drops out of a live session?

There may be technical reasons that mean your lecturer unexpectedly drops out of a live session. If this is the case, please remain within the meeting for 10 minutes to give your lecturer chance to try and re-enter the meeting. If this is not possible, your lecturer will try and post a message within the meeting to advise as to what material you can access during your lecture slot.

What can I do if I miss a live interactive session?

Live interactive sessions will normally be recorded and uploaded to the ReVIEW block on your Learn module for you to watch.

How should I contact my lecturer with a question outside of the scheduled sessions?

Your lecturer will outline their preferred methods for communicating outside of a scheduled session at the beginning of the Semester. This may include adding questions to the MS Teams channel for your module or sending a direct message through MS Teams chat. You can also use Learn to communicate with your lecturers. Staff are adapting to a new way or working as well and may not be able to respond to questions immediately so please be patient.

How will I have meetings with my personal tutor/dissertation or project supervisor outside of timetabled classes?

Your school will indicate the preferred method and arrangements for meeting with your tutors.

We continue to encourage staff and students to meet informally/formally because this is a really important part of the student experience, and very much valued by our students. However, such meetings can only take place in person where the facilities is suitable – that is social distancing can be maintained and there is suitable ventilation. The face covering policy also applies.

Please respect the wishes of individual staff members in how they will meet with you – in some cases meetings may be in staff offices if they are large enough to maintain social distancing, you may be asked to move into an open area, wait until the meeting can be booked into an appropriate space or conduct the meeting via MS Teams.

Can I remotely access a PC on campus?

Over 1300 lab PCs will be available for remote access. Guidance on how to access these PCs is available on the IT Services website.

How can I prepare and submit a presentation for my coursework?

The Panopto Personal Capture software allows you to easily record a PowerPoint presentation with audio. It's a version of Loughborough University's ReVIEW system, but it has the advantage that it can downloaded and installed on student computers to allow recordings to be made, uploaded and edited remotely. The handouts below will show you how to download, record, edit and submit a video presentation using the personal capture software.

Self isolation and quarantine

What do I do if I need to self-isolate?

You must isolate at your term-time residence. If you don’t adhere to this, you will be risking the health and safety of others and putting the University at risk of a potential outbreak and stricter regulations. Anyone who does not stay at home when required will face University disciplinary action. You must inform the University’s Connect and Protect service if you are self-isolating.

What support is available to me if I’m self-isolating?

If you are currently in isolation, you can get support from the Covid Community champions. Volunteers will provide doorstep deliveries of prescriptions, post, library books, printing and meals for you if you are isolating.

Health and wellbeing

What mental health support is available to me?

There are several different avenues of support available to students.

If you think you would benefit from one-to-one wellbeing support, please complete the Wellbeing Appointment Referral Form. A member of the team will be in contact to let you know which service is the most appropriate to support you.

There are also Isolation Support Groups that are run by the Wellbeing and Inclusivity Team. They can offer you support, guidance and an opportunity to talk about your experiences of isolation with other students in the same situation.

You can also download the University’s free LU Wellbeing app here.

More information on wellbeing resources is available here.