Instead of throwing away items you no longer want or need, you can donate them to the University’s Give ‘n’ Go scheme instead.
This initiative, run by the University’s Sustainability Team, gives students living in halls of residence the chance to give away their unwanted belongings and support a worthy cause.
The team have collaborated with six charities and non-for-profit organisations – including Dogs Trust, Better World Books, and Shepshed Food Bank – who will all benefit from the donations received, as many of them have been impacted by the pandemic.
Nik Hunt, Environmental Manager, commented: “For Give ‘n’ Go, our aim is to repurpose and recycle as many items as possible that would otherwise end up in general waste and landfill. By taking part in the scheme, not only does your support have a positive impact on the environment, but you’ll also be helping vulnerable groups of people (and dogs!) in our local community.”
Where and when can you donate?
You will be able to donate items to The Granby, 12-17 September.
What can you donate?
- Non-perishable food - Unopened tinned or dried foods (such as soups, baked beans, pasta and rice) as well as food in unopened jars such as sauces.
- Frozen food* - Unfortunately, we can’t accept frozen food this year, but please use the Olio app to share your frozen food with others in the local community.
- Crockery and kitchen items – eg plates, pans, utensils, Tupperware boxes, cutlery, mugs, and glassware. These must all be clean and in good condition.
- Clothing - Clothes and shoes for all ages and genders are welcome.
- Coat hangers
- Books - All fiction (adult and children’s) and any textbooks.
- Stationary - Used and unused folders, notepads, pens, pencils etc.
- Bedding items - Used and unused pillows, duvets and throws (must be in good to excellent condition)
- Toiletries - Unopened bath and shower products, lotions, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and sanitary products.
- Electrical items - Working and broken electrical items such as tablets, keyboards, and headphones.
Please ensure all donated items are boxed or bagged up, to make things simpler for the charities when collecting.
If you have something that is not listed above and you want to know whether it can be donated or recycled through the scheme, please email email@example.com and they’ll let you know.
When the donation stations close, the Sustainability Team will be working hard behind the scenes, sorting and packing all the donations ready for distribution to our partner charities.