You may find that as you are packing that you have unwanted or unused belongings. Instead of throwing them away and letting them go to landfill, you can donate them through the University’s Give ‘n’ Go scheme.
Working with six charities including Dogs Trust, Better World Books, and Shepshed Food Bank, the sustainability initiative aims to repurpose and recycle unwanted belongings.
What can you donate?
- Non-perishable food - Unopened tinned or dried foods (such as soups, baked beans, pasta and rice) as well as food in unopened jars such as sauces
- Frozen food - Unopened frozen food items can be left in your freezer in your halls of residence, just let your hall manager know they are there and our team will come and collect them
- Crockery and kitchen items – Eg plates, pans, utensils, Tupperware boxes, cutlery, mugs, and glassware. These must all be clean and in good condition
- Clothing - Clothes and shoes for all ages and genders welcome
- Coat hangers
- Books - All fiction (adult and children’s) and any textbooks
- Stationary - Used and unused folders, notepads, pens, pencils etc
- Bedding items - Used and unused pillows, duvets and throws (must be in good to excellent condition)
- Toiletries - Unopened bath and shower products, lotions, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and sanitary products
- Electrical items - Working and broken electrical items such as tablets, keyboards, and headphones
If you have something that is not listed above and you want to know whether it can be donated or recycled through the scheme, please email email@example.com and they’ll let you know.
Where and when can you donate?
There will be three donation stations on campus, 13 September-18 September:
For more information about Give ‘n’ Go – visit the dedicated webpage here.