Current Students and Staff

// University News

Reminder: Financial help for students affected by Covid-19

As a result of additional funds received from the Office for Students (OfS), students who have been financially impacted by the pandemic can get help towards their accommodation costs and caring responsibilities.

The University has been allocated a fixed amount which we hope will make a real difference to those most in need. Specifically, it aims to provide financial assistance to students who are encountering difficulty in paying their rent during the Spring term – that is the 11 weeks from 11 January 2021 to 26 March 2021 and/or have had caring responsibilities.

Undergraduate, postgraduate taught and postgraduate research students are all eligible to apply. Assistance will be provided as a one-off payment which will be paid by BACS transfer to the bank account details you have given on Student Self-service (please ensure this information is accurate and up-to-date).

Apply now here.

Applications must be submitted by midnight on Sunday 21 March, and decisions will be sent to your University email address after 22 March. The University may request additional evidence if deemed necessary to decide your application, but you should aim to provide enough detail within your application to allow us to understand your circumstances.

If you are in private accommodation and you are seeking help with your rent, you must upload your accommodation contract/tenancy agreement. Please provide only the sections which confirm the contract is in your name (can be joint or sole contract), rent amount, the address and the start and end dates of the contract. Full tenancy terms and conditions are not required.

This scheme is in addition to the University’s general Hardship Fund and an application to the Fund can also be made alongside this request for assistance. You may also apply to the Hardship Fund if you need financial support for reasons other than accommodation costs or caring responsibilities.

Additionally, if you are an undergraduate student in hardship, you can explore the possibility of asking Student Finance for a current year income assessment due to a change in circumstances.