12 Apr 2019
Don’t forget – it’s better off this Easter
In 2018, the campus used over £43,000 worth of electricity while the University was closed over five days during the Easter break.
This year, the University is looking to reduce consumption by at least 5%, which would save more than £2,000.
As part of the It’s Better Off campaign, the Sustainability team have provided some tips below on the ways you can reduce consumption within your office or building during this time:
- Ensure your PC or laptop and monitor are switched off – equipment like USB hubs should also be unplugged
- Ensure windows are shut to keep buildings secure and maintain temperature
- Unplug any phones or chargers
- Turn off all the lights before leaving
- Switch off all air con units, extractor fans and heaters
- Switch off printers (except MFDs, which must remain on to prevent losing settings)
- Turn off research equipment that does not need to be used over the break
Be sure to check what technical equipment can and can’t be switched off with a Technician or the user so as not to hinder any research.
The Facilities Management team will also be working behind the scenes to help minimise the mechanical plant running over the break.
As a result of saving 5.5% in energy usage during the Christmas break, a donation was made to Loughborough Students’ Union’s (LSU) Action Soup Kitchen project.
For more information, please contact the Sustainability team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further guidance is also available on the Sustainability webpages about how to reduce energy waste throughout the year.