15 Jun 2018
Students recognised for enterprise and employability skills at LSU awards night
A number of ambitious students have had their achievements in enterprise and career development recognised at a recent Loughborough Students’ Union (LSU) awards evening.
The evening started with a start-up showcase, supported by Santander Universities, that gave seven students the opportunity to exhibit their businesses.
Guests were asked to vote for their favourite concept, with the top two being awarded funding from Santander to help kick-start their idea.
The winner was Simone Knowles with The Toast Club – a food van that sells various toasties – and second place went to Waffle, a chatbot system created by students Matt Pritchard and James Powell-Tuck that aims to make eating out easy.
Ryan McGee was also crowned the Most Enterprising Student of the Year. He is the Vice-President of Enactus Loughborough and throughout the year has been on hand to help students pursue their business ideas, alongside engaging with staff, fellow students, businesses across campus as well as the wider community.
Following the awards, Leo Yang, Enterprise and Employability Executive Officer, commented: “The awards evening was a true celebration of all the successes and hard work our students and staff have put into Enterprise and Employability.
“I want to congratulate all those who were nominated and those who won an award. It has truly been a great year for me as Executive Officer to see the progress we have all made.”
The full list of award winners is as follows:
- The Santander Excellence in Enterprise Award – The Toast Club – Simone Knowles (Highly Commended: Waffle - Matt Pritchard and James Powell-Tuck)
- Most Enterprising Student or Graduate of the Year – Ryan McGee
- Loughborough Employability Award – Charlie Newton (Highly Commended: Annabelle Williams)
- Careers Rep of the Year – Katie Holland
- Most Enterprising Student Group of Society – Tech Society
- Most Enterprising Hall or Department Committee – Faraday
- The Executive Officer’s Award – Vincent Davenport
- Employability Department of the Year – Computer Science
- Champion of the Year – Ryan McNamara
- Careers Event of the Year – ABCE Careers Week