22 Jun 2018
Students recognised for dedication to Welfare and Diversity at LSU awards
The Welfare and Diversity section of Loughborough Students’ Union celebrated the hard work and dedication of their volunteers at a recent awards evening.
The Welfare and Diversity Awards took place last week and sought to recognise the outstanding commitment of its volunteers throughout this academic year (2017/18).
A variety of accolades were given out throughout the evening with the sought-after Outstanding Contribution to Welfare and Diversity award going to student Ruqayyah Hashmi.
Ruqayyah, who has now completed her fourth year at Loughborough, has contributed countless hours to the Welfare and Diversity section alongside her studies.
Having dedicated her time to the section as Ethnic Minorities Officer and Vice-Chair of the LGBT+ Association, she was commended for her efforts in orchestrating inter-section links with various events such as the welfare sports afternoon, Body Positive Fashion show, and the ‘Outspoken’ sub-section.
The University’s first ever Loughborough Women’s March was also celebrated at the event and given the title of best Student-led Event/Campaign of the Year.
The full list of award winners is as follows:
- Volunteer of the Year: Elishia Pitney
- Association of the Year: Ethnic Minorities Network
- Student-Led Event/Campaign of the Year: Loughborough Women’s March
- Committee Member of the Year: Matt Youngs
- Subcommittee Member of the Year: Dushan Despotovic
- Outgoing Hall Rep of the Year: Bilal Tahir
- Incoming Hall Rep of the Year: Krishna Mistry
- Hall of the Year: Hazlerigg-Rutland
- Department of the Year: Computer Science
- Unsung Hero Award: Marina Soria
- Team of the Year: Body Positivity Week
- Outstanding Contribution to Welfare & Diversity: Ruqayyah Hashmi
Loughborough Students Union’s Welfare and Diversity Executive Officer, Hannah Keating, commented:
“The Welfare & Diversity Awards 2018 were absolutely phenomenal, and gave us the chance to celebrate our outstanding student volunteers and staff who have contributed so much to the section!
“Congratulations to all the winners and shortlisted nominees – you are all incredible!”