19 Dec 2018
It’s better off this Christmas
Last year, the University consumed over £114,000 worth of electricity in the 13 days it was closed over the Christmas holidays. This year, we are aiming to reduce this consumption by 5%, which will make a saving of £5,700.
As part of the Sustainability team’s It’s Better OFF campaign, here are some ways you can help us to achieve this before breaking up for Christmas:
- Shut down your PC and unplug all laptops and docking stations
- Switch off computer monitors
- Switch off printers (please note MFD’s must remain on to prevent losing settings; however, these will power down on their own)
- Switch off all lights (including any Christmas ones!)
- Switch off all heaters, air con units and extractor fans
- Turn off any research equipment that doesn’t need to be used over the break
- Where possible, consolidate experiments into the minimal number of ovens, fume cupboards, fridges, etc.
- Set any timers in your office/building to stay off for the duration of the break
- Unplug any chargers, phones and transformers
- Close all windows before leaving to maintain the temperature within the buildings and keep security to a maximum
Any equipment used for vital experiments and research must not be switched off.
It is also recommended you bring along a jumper for the first day back, as offices and buildings may be colder than usual following the switch off.
For more information, please contact Sustainability on email@example.com. The team will be refreshing the It’s Better OFF campaign in the new year with a new set of promotional materials to ensure continued awareness throughout the University.