27 Feb 2015
Stay ahead in the open research landscape
The publishing landscape in the UK is changing significantly as evidenced from the league tables with greater value being placed on the citation impact of those research outputs, nationally and internationally.
HEFCE and other funding bodies, including RCUK, are also making new demands for research outputs (papers and research data) to be made available on open access.
It is essential that additional steps are taken to ensure work is eligible for REF submission and to facilitate ongoing RCUK funding. Changes to technology and procedure will be introduced in early March to ensure compliance with the REF OA policy, deadline April 2016. We do not wish to limit the selection of eligible outputs for the next REF due to policy restrictions imposed by HEFCE.
Some of the practical ways these changes will affect you include:
- The need to submit details of your publications to LUPIN and upload the author’s final peer-reviewed manuscripts (immediately upon acceptance for journal or conference papers);
- The need to think more carefully about journal or conference choice, with an eye on visibility (open access) and impact;
- The need to maintain and update your ResearchFish research outcomes record
- The need to note in your journal and conference publications how others can access your research data;
- The need to submit a Data Management Plan with any bid for funding
- The need to archive your research data via the forthcoming data pathway in LUPIN.
We can help you through all aspects of these changes and assist you with complying with funding body policies. No doubt as a result of these developments, your research will be more visible, and therefore gather more impact, than ever before.
The Research Office, Library and IT Services are working with academics to develop processes and systems that make this as seamless as possible. More information on the detail of these services will be made available shortly. For more information now please visit the web pages at: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/library/research/