19 Dec 2014
The twelve sustainability steps of Christmas
Before you leave the office for the Christmas break…
- Shut down all PCs and laptops
- Switch off all monitors
- Switch off all printers – multi-function devices (MDFs) must remain on to prevent network failure, but they do power down on their own
- Switch off all lights
- Switch off any heaters, air con units and extract fans
- Switch off any research equipment that doesn't need to be on over the break
- Where possible consolidate experiments into the minimal number of ovens, fume cupboards, fridges etc
- Set any timers on lights and equipment to stay off for the break
- Unplug transformers, phone and laptop chargers
- Unplug any Christmas decorations
- Close windows around the building
- Do NOT switch off equipment that is in use for vital experiments or anything that may have problems starting up after the Christmas break. Check with your Operations Manager before switching off equipment like fridges, freezers and research equipment.
And when you return from the Christmas holiday, your office may be colder than usual, so bring an extra jumper just in case.