Rainbow Laces 2019
From 22nd of November to 8th of December, we supported the Rainbow Laces campaign right here on campus.
1,300 pairs of laces sold
Following our recent Stonewall Diversity Champion announcement, we got behind the national Rainbow Laces campaign to help raise awareness and make a stand against homophobia, biphobia and transphobia in sport.
Loughborough Family comes together for #LboroLaces
The University’s LGBT+ Staff Group are celebrating after they significantly exceeded their target of selling 1,000 rainbow laces to staff, students and campus partners as part of a national awareness campaign which aims to make sport inclusive to all, allowing no room for discrimination.
What’s it all about?
Sport has the power to change lives, build friendships and confidence, as well as improve physical and mental health. It’s an integral part of our DNA here at Loughborough University and within the #LboroFamily.
The Stonewall Rainbow Laces campaign is an effort to make sport more inclusive and making sure there is no room for hate. Whilst we have come a long way, there is so much more work to be done.
Rainbow Laces are a clear, physical way of showing support for LGBT+ people in sport, but also acts as a statement that sport should be for everyone. When you step up and play your part, others will follow.
- The campaign will officially launch Friday 22nd of November, running through to the 8th of December.
- Rainbow Laces Day is on Wednesday 27th November.
How can I get a pair of laces?
Laces are a minimum of £1 per pair, and any further donations will be sent straight to the Stonewall charity which will directly help their work eradicating homophobia and transphobia in sport. Please note, payment for these laces is via donation box and will not be able to accept card.
Head to your nearest #LboroLaces venue, listed below, to grab a pair from reception. If you’re a student in halls, we’re also supported by halls Laces Reps, so you’ll be able to buy a pair from your own hall. Speak to your sports sec, RAG rep, or welfare rep to find out more. Get your IMS team kitted out!
How can my team get involved?
So, you’re part of an AU club or student group and you want to get involved in the #LboroLaces campaign – that’s great! Here’s our advice on how to get stuck in…
- Take to social media, using our toolkit at the bottom of the page or your own words, and express yourselves! Videos explaining why the campaign is important using the stats at the top of the page, simple video messages of “we are supporting” / “I am supporting”, team photos, photos of boots or equipment featuring the Rainbow Laces. Use #LboroLaces so we can see you!
- Taking part in a BUCS fixture on the 27th November? Make it a Rainbow Laces match. Encourage all selected players to wear their laces proudly on the day for the fixture – let the other team know too!
- Take time to learn about the cause. Use the Stonewall “Being an Inclusive Teammate” guide to understand how you can be a better teammate.
What can I do to support the campaign?
+ Buy a pair of Rainbow Laces and wear them on your shoes / trainers / sports boots / in your hair / on your sports equipment throughout the campaign, particularly on Rainbow Laces Day on 27th November.
+ Encourage your friends, flatmates, course friends, and teammates to get involved with the campaign. When you step up and play your part, others will follow.
+ Show your support on social media, either using our toolkit (below) or your own words, using #LboroLaces!
Toolkit for social media
To help you spread the message about the campaign, we’ve prepared a toolkit for you to use. This toolkit includes suggested messaging and assets, for use across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Download any of the images below, then share and tag your sports governing body to let them know you’re getting stuck in! We've also got suggested messaging in the file download below.
Graphic for Facebook and Twitter
Graphic for Instagram
Statistics graphics (4)