Update to students - 16 March at 7.30pm
I want to start by thanking all students for the understanding shown in response to the difficult situation of the last few days. I am personally hugely appreciative of this.
As you may be aware the Government have announced daily briefings regarding the country’s COVID-19 response, the first of which was today.
The University’s COVID-19 response group has met this evening to absorb the details of today’s Government briefing. More detail will follow tomorrow, but we have decided to communicate early and escalate our response in accordance with our pre-prepared plan. The key points are:
- Any face to face classes, labs, seminars or tutorials scheduled for tomorrow (Tuesday) will not go ahead and all of these activities are suspended until further notice. Details of the online replacement activity and any access to facilities will follow tomorrow.
- Lectures have already moved online, and students should access these via Learn.
- We will advise further detail in the coming days with regard to online teaching and assessment structures.
- The libraries on both our campuses will remain open but with limited capacity to allow physical distancing.
- Students should leave the campus if they wish to do so. Our halls of residence will remain open and function as close to normal as possible. We know many of our students are unable to leave or may have an important reason to stay until the end of term. This is a personal decision but leaving now for the approaching vacation will incur no penalty.
- Many catering outlets will remain open.
- LSU have informed us they intend to significantly reduce their activity tomorrow.
I understand there will be many questions that you may have. The response team will continue to work tonight so we can update our FAQs as soon as possible in the morning. Current information can be found at www.lboro.ac.uk/coronavirus.
This is an unprecedented and challenging time. All I can ask of our students is that you continue to support and show concern for each other. Rest assured we will do all that we can to support your progression through your degree programme.
Kind wishes at this time
Chief Operating Officer