Frequently asked questions


Availability of services for students

See updated information on the availability of services for students

Are lectures and other classes still running?

Following government guidance on 16 March 2020, we have now suspended all face-to-face classes until further notice. You should no longer attend any classes, including lectures, tutorials, seminars, laboratory classes etc.

Lectures have already moved online, and students should access these via Learn. We have asked academic colleagues to make best efforts to ensure that lecture material is online within 24 hours of the scheduled session.

Details of the online real-time replacement activity (for example, seminars, tutorials, project and dissertation supervisions etc.) will be made available via the corresponding Learn module page. We are also updating the student timetable to take into account the live sessions.

Digital registers are suspended until further notice.

We have a number of digital tools by which staff can engage with you remotely, both in real time and at any time. These include ‘Chats’ with the teaching staff, virtual seminars which will take place at specific times and Forums in which you can post questions for example. You can of course email your teaching staff, use video methods and even arrange to speak to them on the telephone.

We know that learning remotely is a different experience compared to our face-to-face offer that we pride ourselves on. However, we are doing all that we can to ensure that you can progress with your studies at this unprecedented time.

We have pulled together some information, resources and ‘Top Tips’ to try to help you make the most of the study materials provided on our Learning Remotely web pages. These pages also detail access to our virtual library and off-campus access to our campus computer rooms.

Most of all, remember that we are still here to support you.

Please get in touch with us. Your Lecturers, Module Leaders, Dissertation/Project Supervisors, Personal and Year Tutors, and School support teams are still here for you.

Will learning facilities be available on campus and will I need to use them?

In line with the latest Government advice on social distancing, from 17:00 on Friday 20 March the Library and other academic spaces available to students were closed until further notice.

The Learning Remotely pages detail access to our virtual library and off-campus access to our campus computer rooms.

How will this affect my coursework assessments?

We have reviewed all module assessments and have made appropriate adjustments. The Learn page for each module has been updated to provide additional details for each of your modules. Please also note the following:

  • Many coursework assessments are already distributed and submitted online, through Learn for example, and these will continue to operate in the normal way.
  • Existing coursework deadlines remain in force unless you are told otherwise. If we have to make any change any deadlines, we will let you know as soon as we can. It is possible that the Learn Timeline will lag behind whilst we catch everything up so please use the information given to you directly as the definitive source.
  • We are aware that in some cases there are physical submissions. We have made alternative arrangements for each module where relevant.
  • Any physical scheduled in-class tests or in-class assessments will no longer take place in their current form this academic year.
  • If you have to prepare/give a presentation for a module, then we are looking to use technology to allow you to do this remotely. We will provide further instructions if this is the case.
  • We are aware that you may need to work in groups for coursework. There are a number of ways in which you can continue to do this remotely, and we will advise on a module basis and on our ‘Learning Remotely’ help page. We will make allowances for the fact that you will be meeting virtually, rather than in person.
  • If you have an assignment which requires you to interview people, you should use alternative methods rather than face-to-face. Further guidance will be provided by your supervisor and/or module leader as appropriate.

We appreciate that you will all be concerned about your studies. Please be reassured that we have a number of mechanisms in place to adjust assessments and moderate marks where it is appropriate to do so. The mechanisms we are putting in place will mean that students do not have to be on campus to achieve learning outcomes, be assessed and progress with their studies.

Will exams be running in the summer?

Yes – please see the Remote Assessment pages for further information.

Will I need to complete a Mitigating Circumstances form?

You should not normally need to submit a Mitigating Circumstances form as a result of the changes to teaching and assessment in relation to the current coronavirus situation.

We will gather detailed information as to how changes have impacted each module and, if we consider it appropriate, we will take steps to mitigate this as described in other sections on this page. We will be working closely with Loughborough Students’ Union to ensure that any actions taken are fair and reasonable. 

However, if you have specific individual circumstances (e.g. genuinely exceptional, serious or acute medical, family, personal, or other problems or events beyond your control) which have affected your studies then you should complete the Mitigating Circumstances form in the normal way. Similarly, if you feel that your work has been disproportionately affected by changes to teaching and assessment because of your own individual circumstances, then you should complete a Mitigating Circumstances form in accordance with Regulation XV11.

PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to submit an Mitigating Circumstances claim relating to the Covid-19 coronavirus, you will not be required to provide supporting medical evidence for any illness, and you SHOULD NOT seek such evidence from the University Medical Centre or from any other medical service, at the current time.

Can I remain on campus?

We know many of our students are unable to leave or may have an important reason to stay.

Our halls of residence will remain open and function as close to normal as possible for these students.

If you decide to stay on campus, please follow the advice given by staff in your hall.

Is the University Library still open?

The Library closed at 17.00 on Friday 20 March until further notice.

All books on loan have been renewed until May 4 in the first instance and requests and fines have been suspended from March 18.

Many of our services are online and we have an extensive online collection to help you with your study. We will be providing support remotely on a range of topics, from searching resources to referencing so please contact us at

We are looking at other services we may be able to offer and we will update both the Library website, social media channels and University guidance pages with this information.

Can I still access all the student services as normal?

Details of how you can access services and when are available online.

I am having problems accessing Learn

We are aware that there are some reports of Learn running slowly at some times. We believe this is a consequence of local Internet Service Provider issues rather than on campus. We are however monitoring carefully.


I have an underlying health condition – what should I do?

Please discuss the situation with your GP or specialist and continue to take your normal medication (if applicable) for your condition. Please follow the relevant advice from Public Health England.

I have/someone I live with has symptoms of the coronavirus illness - what should I do?

If you symptoms of coronavirus illness and you live alone, you must self-isolate for 7 days from the onset of the symptoms.

If you live with others and you, or someone you live with, have symptoms of coronavirus illness, then all household members must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill.

If you live in a hall setting and you, or someone you live with, have symptoms of coronavirus then all flat mates must stay within the flat and not leave for 14 days. Please notify your warden. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the flat became ill. We consider a household within a hall setting to be any group of people sharing a kitchen and/or bathroom. For example, if you have an en-suite room but 6 of you share a kitchen, we would class all of you as a ‘household’.

Clearly, this is an unprecedented situation and we appreciate this might be creating concerns for you. If you have any concerns relating to self-isolation, please raise these with your warden in the first instance. If you chose to leave hall we would ask that you make your warden or hall reception aware of this.

Symptoms of the coronavirus illness are detailed under General Public Health Advice on this website.

Please read the NHS advice about staying at home. There is also government guidance on this.



I am an international student and I am being threatened and abused. What should I do?

We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously. You can report the matter to the University via the Online Incident Reporting Portal, the Security team in Loughborough, at main reception at Loughborough University London or the Police. If you feel in immediate danger, you should dial 999 and ask for the Police.

I’m a taught student with concerns about my Tier 4 visa. What is the University advising?

The University has suspended all face-to-face teaching until further notice but teaching and assessment is continuing online. If you hold a Tier 4 visa, the University will continue sponsorship so your visa remains in place and allows you to continue your studies. You should continue to study using the materials proved through Learn, whether you have remained in the UK or have returned home

If you wish to return to your home country, please be aware there are various travel restrictions in place for different countries and these are changing on a daily basis. You should be guided by the latest UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice on travel to areas currently affected by Covid-19, as well as the advice provided by the country to which you intend to travel.

In considering your decision to return home, please be aware that there could be difficulties returning to the UK and the potential need to self-isolate on returning to the UK may exist. The University will continue to monitor the situation closely and follow Home Office guidance in support of students on Tier 4 visas.

If you would prefer to put your studies on hold for a period of time, then please request a leave of absence via your School administration team.

If you would like advice about your visa position, you should contact the Student Advice and Support Service.

I am an undergraduate finalist student. Will I be able to graduate in the summer?

Please be assured that we have a number of provisions in our regulations to allow us to adjust assessments and marks, if necessary, to allow students to graduate. It is our expectation that we will be able to award degrees in the summer.

We will ensure that nothing we do disadvantages a student in respect of their degree outcome.

As you may have anticipated, with the current restrictions on both the movement of people and size of permitted gatherings, we have now made the difficult decision to postpone the University summer graduation ceremonies to the Easter vacation 2021. We guarantee you two things. First, we will hold graduation ceremonies so you, your family and friends can celebrate your achievements at Loughborough University with your staff. Second, because the format we adopt for graduation is so successful, we will not be changing it. Put simply, this is no more than a postponement of a very special day that we all enjoy and all want to be part of.

The University will make arrangements to post Degree Certificates and official mark transcripts to students, during summer 2020, once awards have been confirmed by the exam boards.


Will my Degree Show go ahead?

We are aware that design, creative arts, performing arts and other students who have carried out substantial projects, normally showcased at events and Degree Shows, are concerned that they will miss out on opportunities to exhibit or showcase their work. We will make every effort to provide these opportunities, possibly with a digital show once work has been submitted and then with a physical exhibition alongside our graduation ceremonies. We plan to make arrangements such that work can be submitted and marked virtually in order for us to be able to award degrees this summer. However, we are absolutely committed to organising appropriate degree shows so that we will be able to celebrate the amazing and creative work of our students, with you, our staff and your friends and families.

Will I still be entitled to a placement or study exchange diploma (DPS/DIS/DintS) if I have completed less than 45 weeks?

If your placement or exchange has been cut short (either through your own decision or your host organisation’s) due to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, the University will support you with completing your placement or exchange year successfully. In these exceptional circumstances, completion of 25 weeks of activity alongside the standard assessments will be sufficient. For students unable to meet these requirements, we will provide an additional piece of coursework or similar assessment to complete. We will be in touch with affected students as soon as we can about the modified arrangements which will apply to your situation and will ensure no student is disadvantaged in relation to their diploma due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Will there be any refunds of tuition fees?

Teaching, learning and assessment are continuing, and therefore no refund of tuition fees is intended. This is in line with government advice which has stated that students ordinarily should not expect any fee refund if they are receiving adequate online learning and support.

The complex and diverse nature of the University’s funding and restrictions on the government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (“furlough”) mean that the University continues to employ all academic staff, meeting their full costs of employment. Staff have only been furloughed where they have been demonstrably linked to lost income streams, for example our hotel and conferencing operations, student accommodation where we have released students from their contracts, catering or sports related activity. Government support through furlough amounts to less than 2% of the University’s monthly operating expenditure and does not fully offset the lost income that we have already experienced.

If I want to make a complaint as a result of the impact of Coronavirus on my studies, what should I do?

You should follow the University’s normal procedures under Ordinance XXXVIII for making a complaint, unless your concerns relate to the marks you have been awarded, in which case you should instead submit an academic appeal after Programme Board decisions have been published and you have received your results for this academic year.

If you wish to make a complaint, you might like to bear in mind the following points to assist us in addressing your concerns in a timely manner:

Please make clear in what way you believe the University has not fulfilled its responsibilities to you as a result of the Coronavirus situation, providing details of the modules and why you believe the teaching delivered was not adequate;

Please explain carefully how you think you have been adversely affected. As noted above, if your concerns relate to the marks awarded, then please follow the academic appeals process instead;

Please explain why you feel that the mitigating actions taken by the University have not been adequate;

Please provide an indication of the action you seek from the University.

Your complaint will be considered under the formal complaints procedure and should be addressed to the Academic Registrar in the first instance via the student complaints email address (


Complaints relating to the impact of Coronavirus in Semester 2 will only be considered after the relevant examination board has taken place and Semester 2 results have been released to students.

Complaints relating to Semester 3 for taught postgraduate students will be considered after the final examination boards have taken place.

I am feeling quite anxious, upset, worried about this situation. Who can I talk to?

We know it is a challenging time for everyone, and that you might be feeling worried or stressed. Your mental health and wellbeing are of utmost importance, so the University has made available a set of resources and guidance to help support you.

The Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity team have launched a webpage with practical tips and advice on managing your mental health during this time. Each section is available in text and video format, with topics including working and studying from home, maintaining a healthy routine and staying connected with others.

The Yellow Book (log in with your university credentials) contains a wealth of tools for students and staff – in text and audio format – to help you manage your response to stress using a range of different methods, including breathing exercises, spoken affirmations and creative activities.

You can also access the LU Wellbeing app, which is free to download on any smart device and can be found on the App Store or Google Play.

Can the University help with my meals as I'm struggling financially?

If you are struggling to financially and need help with your meals please email Gagan Kapoor, Head of Catering, Please use the email subject line FREE EVENING MEAL REQUEST. In the body of the email please include:


B Number:

Contact Email Address:

You will receive an email authorising your request.


Due to the current situation we are making a few changes to delivery arrangements. You will now be given ready meals to reheat in your residence to limit the number of visits on campus. You will be able to collect these from ROYCE dining hall between 3.00 – 5.00pm. Carrier bags will not be provided.

You can collect as follows:

Friday 27th March: You will be given 3 ready meals for Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Monday 30th March: You will be given 2 ready meals for Monday and Tuesday

Wednesday 1st April: You will be given 2 ready meals for Wednesday and Thursday

Friday 3rd April: You will be given 3 ready meals for Friday, Saturday and Sunday

and so on...


Please note: this service is only available for students who are struggling financially as a result of COVID-19, for example you have lost your part-time job.


If I live in University accommodation, do I have to pay rent for the summer term 2020 if I can’t return to campus?

We know that the current situation is raising many questions for students living in University Halls of Residence, whether you have travelled home or are staying in hall.

In line with Government policy, the University moved to restricted Campus operations from 20 March.

The Government has said that it is still too early to say when the COVID-19 lockdown restrictions will end. This means that the ‘Stay at Home’ measures will remain in force and will be revised once the peak of the virus has been reached.

This situation is complex and has demanded a significant amount of planning over the last few weeks to ensure that the University is in the best possible position to meet the needs of our students and respond quickly to the latest government announcements during this unprecedented time. 

We would like to offer reassurance that our accommodation will remain open throughout, if you are still living in our halls accommodation you can continue to do so. 

If you are currently living away from campus you may return to your room once travel restrictions are lifted and resume your stay until the end of your contract. Alternatively, you may choose NOT to return to hall, you can request a release from your contract for the whole of the Summer Term.

Please refer to the information on our webpage for further details on any action you need to take. 

My research involves face to face data collection. Can I continue?

Investigations involving human participants

In accordance with government guidance to reduce social contacts, staff and students are asked to pause until further notice on-going or planned research data collection that involves face to face interaction with participants (except in exceptional circumstances, for example studies associated directly with the national COVID-19 research programme, and such exceptional requests should be directed to the Chair of the Sub-Committee,

Where research is simply paused for a number of months the Ethics Approvals Sub-Committee will not require notification, but if significant changes to research design are required a project amendment will need to be submitted in the normal way.  Studies can be moved online without requiring an amendment, unless this substantially changes the study in which case an amendment is required. 

An expedited approval route for COVID-19 studies is being implemented.  Please contact for details.


I left belongings in my university accommodation, when can I collect it?

Once the government eases the lockdown to the extent that students can travel to collect belongings the University will contact you within a week to communicate instructions on how to collect these. It is imperative that you do not return until you have received these instructions from the University as this process needs to be phased in alignment with social distancing precautions.

The process for collecting belongings is outlined below:

  • The University will contact you by email.
  • You will be invited to complete an online form to book a date/time for a maximum of two people to come to campus, pack your belongings and clear your room (2 hour window for room to be cleared).
  • If you are not able to come to campus you will be invited to nominate a person to collect belongings on your behalf, following the above process.
  • If you are unable to make arrangements to collect your belongings then packing and storage or shipping options will be available.
  • A final option is to authorise Campus Services staff to remove all items for donating, recycling or disposal (charges may be incurred).

If the booking slot option is used then specific guidance will be provided to those coming onto campus which will keep everyone safe. It is estimated that this whole process will take place over a three week period with some flexibility in exceptional circumstances.

It is imperative that no one should enter campus without arranging a time slot, if you do you, will not be allowed access to halls. Our aim is to provide you and students who are still residing in halls with a safe procedure for belongings to be removed.


I live in a privately rented house. Do I still need to pay rent?

My contract has not ended but I want to leave my private rented accommodation. Do I have to continue paying rent?

If you have signed a fixed term contract, you will remain liable for the rent until the end of the agreed tenancy period, unless there is a break clause, or your landlord has communicated differently to you.

If your contract has a break clause you should end the contract by following the procedure set out in the contract. This may involve paying rent up until the end of a notice period. Please note, you can only use a break clause if every tenant on the agreement wants to move out.

If your contract does not have a break clause or you can not use it, you will not have an automatic right to end your contract. You should speak to your landlord as they may voluntarily release you. This may involve you paying an agreed sum of money to your landlord as a final settlement. Please note, the landlord is under no obligation to end your tenancy early.

If an agreement is reached between you and the landlord, you should ensure that your landlord confirms this in writing.

If you cannot reach an agreement, seek advice from Student Advice and Support Services.

Unite Halls excluding Loughborough University Accommodation (William Morris, Harry French and The Holt)

If you reside in Unite halls, and you do not plan to continue staying in the accommodation after Easter, then you should let them know by emailing, by Friday 10th April. Unite have announced this will be treated as an agreed surrender of your tenancy and you will not have to pay any remaining rent.

If you have questions about Unite accommodation you can find out more here  

What happens if I move out before my contract has ended and do not pay my rent?

If you leave the property before the end of your tenancy and without an agreement in place, your landlord may take action to get the rent from you, your housemates, or your guarantor (if you have one).

The landlord may seek to recover the money from your deposit. If the amount you owe exceeds your deposit, they may write to you with the view of pursuing a court claim.

Contact the Student Advice & Support Service if you are in such a position and require advice.

I am unable to pay my rent

Landlords may get mortgage payment holidays if their tenants are experiencing financial difficulties due to the coronavirus. You should speak to your landlord if you are struggling to pay your rent. Your landlord could agree a rent reduction or accept rent late. However, this needs to be discussed; to simply withhold rent or otherwise fail to pay would amount to a breach of contract. You can access government guidance here 

If a variation to the contract is agreed it is important to get this confirmed in writing, and at the end of this period, both you and the landlord will need to work together to establish an affordable repayment plan.

Again, contact the Student Advice & Support Service if you are in such a position and require advice.

Can I be evicted?

The government plan on passing emergency legislation to protect tenants. While the government have yet to outline what these protections will involve, it has confirmed no eviction proceedings for a three-month period. This section will be updated as soon as there is more information.

You can find further guidance here

I have nowhere to live, can I live on campus?

Please contact contact the Student Advice & Support Serviceif you have nowhere to live. We can discuss your housing options

Collecting belongings from hall

When can I collect my belongings?

You will be able to collect your belongings from Thursday 18th June 2020. You will need to ensure that you book a slot to do this.

Will I be able to access to my room to collect my belongings?

No. All access to buildings has been removed. You will only be able to gain access through booking a slot and following the instructions.

What if I just turn up to collect my belongings?

You may have a wasted journey. We have allocated booking slots in order to prepare for your arrival to collect your belongings. There may currently be key workers or others who are isolating in your flat, therefore we need to ensure that we manage the collection of your belongings in order to ensure the safety of everyone.

How many people can come with me to collect my belongings?

You can bring one member of your household to assist in the collection of your belongings. The booking slot should provide you with enough time to collect all belongings and hand back the key.

How do I book a slot to collect my belongings?

You will be sent an email with a link to the booking instructions. This will go to your University account. Booking slots will be released over a period of three weeks.

What do I need to bring with me?

You will need to bring sufficient packing material with you to ensure all items can packed and taken away. If you have not already returned your room key, you will need to bring this along to so that you can return it to the reception team once you have finished emptying your room.

Are there any restrictions to collecting my belongings?

You should not attend site if you or anyone with you has COVID-19 symptoms or is shielding. You should not attempt to collect your belongings if you have not booked a slot.

Can someone collect my belongings on my behalf?

There will be opportunity in the booking process to specify who will be collecting your items on your behalf. They will need to show photo id and return your room key once they have finished collecting your belongings.

I only want to collect some of my belongings, what do I do with my unwanted items?

Your bedroom and kitchen should be cleared of all items. If you have any unwanted items, you will have the following options:

  • Donate – items such as dry foods, clothes, books, kitchen items, duvets and more can be taken to a donation point. Detailed communication for donations will follow.
  • Recycling – place in the containers provided.
  • Waste – place in the skips provided.

I do not want to collect my items; you can dispose of them.

If you do not want to collect your items, please let us know by contacting your hall reception and we will dispose of your items for you.

Where do I park to collect my belongings?

Each hall will be allocated a specific car park or parking location. We will advertise these prior to you arriving and the campus will have numerous way finders displayed to assist you with directions.

I am not in the UK currently, and I will not be able to collect my items. What do I do?

We understand there are additional challenges faced by our students who are currently overseas. Please contact your hall reception team so we can provide you with some options.

I am unable to collect my belongings because I am shielding

We understand there are additional challenges faced by students who are shielding. Please contact your hall reception team so we can provide you with some options.

What happens if I miss my booking slot?

You will need to re-book using the online form for another date. We cannot rearrange your booking slot for later in the day or another day.

I have remaining items of post/parcels to collect, what do I do?

Post and parcels can be collected from the Creative and Print Services reception in the Herbert Manzoni Building, open from 8am–6pm from Monday 22 June until Friday 10 July (excluding weekends).

I have cleared my room and returned my key, but I still have items of post to collect.

After you have cleared your room, you can collect outstanding post and parcels from the Creative and Print Services reception in the Herbert Manzoni Building, open from 8am–6pm from Monday 22 June until Friday 10 July (excluding weekends).

Will I need to collect perishable food items?

Please be aware that our Housekeeping teams have removed any perishable items from your kitchens. In addition, you may find items removed from cupboards and moved onto kitchen tables and countertops. We have not removed any non-perishable items from kitchens.

I have a bike in halls, when do I need to remove it by?

Please make sure you have removed your bike from halls by the end of your original contract end date, If you are unable to collect your bike than please contact your hall reception to make arrangements.

How is the University taking account of the evidence that demonstrates differential impact of Covid-19 on people of different ethnicities?

The impact of Covid-19 has not been equally felt. The University is conducting Equalities Impact Assessments on the impact of Covid-19 on our activities, including academic outcomes. We will make adjustments where this shows differential impact. We are also taking account of the evidence of unequal impact as we plan our actions. If you have thoughts or wish to input as to how we can achieve this effectively, please send that helpful content to