Become a coach, mentor or buddy
Could you give something back as a coach, mentor or buddy?
Acting as a coach or mentor for another colleague can be an immensely rewarding experience and is a development opportunity open to everyone, regardless of the seniority of their role.
For coaches and mentors, involvement in the CMB Framework presents an opportunity to:
- Gain the opportunity to reflect on your own development
- Develop key skills such as listening, questioning, facilitation, empathy and rapport building
- Extend your own people development experience
- Increase your organisational knowledge and internal network
- Demonstrate your collegiality by sharing your experience and giving something back to the University community
The anticipated time commitment for our coaches and mentors is outlined below:
- Coaches: Typically a maximum of 4 hours over 6 months with precise timings and frequency of sessions agreed between the coach and coachee .
- Mentors: A maximum of 12 hours over 12 months, which is designed to allow an average of one meeting per month. The precise timing and frequency of meetings, and their format, can be determined by the mentor and mentee.
- Buddying: Normally takes place over 6-12 months with the precise timings, frequency, format and duration determined by the new starter, their Buddy and line manager/PDR Reviewer.
Recruitment of additional coaches will be driven by the volume of requests that are received in the future. Individuals who have previously attended a University provided coaching course will be approached in the first instance. If you are an experienced and qualified coach and would like to volunteer to join the scheme, please email email@example.com.
We will shortly be introducing a suite of learning products to enable colleagues to build and enhance their coaching skills.
Further information on a specially negotiated rate for Loughborough staff who wish to join the Association of Coaching to support their professional development, can be found in the resources section.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please explore your School/Professional Service based mentoring scheme in the first instance to see if it meets your mentoring needs.
If your School/Professional Service does not have an existing scheme that you can engage with or one that meets your mentoring needs – please complete the application below. Mentoring requests will be reviewed by a panel at the end of each month and a member of the Organisational Development team will then get in touch.