How is the Loughborough School Direct programme structured?
Below is an outline of the Loughborough School Direct programme:
- Loughborough University and the school(s) jointly recruit and select School Direct trainees.
- The School Direct programme runs in parallel with Loughborough’s provider-led PGCE programme; both programmes are high-quality and lead to equivalent outcomes in terms of the award of a masters level PGCE (90 credits) and QTS.
- During the one year full-time PGCE course, all trainees undergo four school placements: one in a primary school at the start of the course, one in a special school mid-way through the course, and two extended practices (either side of the Christmas and Easter breaks) in different, contrasting secondary schools.
- School Direct trainees spend both extended secondary school placements in two of the alliance schools, schools are determined jointly in negotiation with the lead school and Loughborough University.
- If suitable employment opportunities arise in the School Direct school(s), School Direct trainees may be encouraged to apply for these.