Professor Ron Maughan
Emeritus Professor of Sport and Exercise Nutrition
Ron Maughan obtained a BSc (Physiology) and PhD from the University of Aberdeen, and held a lecturing position in Liverpool before returning to Aberdeen where he was based in the Medical School for almost 25 years.
Professor Maughan is a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine and received that organisation's Citation Award in 2007. He is also a member of the Physiological Society, the Nutrition Society, the Biochemical Society, and the Medical Research Society. He chaired the Human and Exercise Physiology group of the Physiological Society for 10 years and was a member of the Council of that organisation. He is Chair of the Sports Nutrition group established by the IOC Medical Commission in 2002.
He has acted as an adviser to UK Sport, UK Athletics, The FA, FIFA, the Irish Sports Council and to various other sporting bodies. In 2006-07 he was adviser to the House of Commons Select Committee enquiry on Human Enhancement Technologies in Sport.
On moving to Loughborough, Professor Maughan established a new Masters Degree program in Sport and Exercise Nutrition and a distance learning MSc program in Sports Nutrition.
His research interests are in the physiology, biochemistry and nutrition of exercise performance, with an interest in both the basic science of exercise and the applied aspects that relate to health and to performance in sport.
Journal Editorial Roles
Editor or associate editor:
- Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise
- International Journal of Sports Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Pflugers Archiv-European Journal of Physiology
- British Journal of Sports Medicine (1990-2005)
- Experimental Physiology (2000-2005)
- European Journal of Applied Physiology (1991-2003)
- International Journal of Sports Medicine
- Saudi J Sports Med
- Medicina Sportiva
- American Journal of Medicine and Sports
Other External Research-Related Roles
- Chair of the Nutrition Working group of the IOC Medical Commission
- Member, Nutrition Society Working Group on Accreditation in Sports Nutrition 1999-2003
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine Program Committee (1998-2001) and International Relations Committee, 1999-2006
- Member, Sports Medicine Review Board of the Gatorade Sports Science Institute 1990.
- Member of the ILSI Expert Group on Sports Nutrition 2002-2004
Selected Invited Conference Presentations (2009 only)
- Emerging technologies for efficacy demonstration: hydration. ILSI workshop, Brussels
- Hydration strategies for sports performance in hot and humid countries. First Asian Sports Nutrition Seminar, Singapore
- Importance of hydration for sports performance during Ramadan. First Asian Sports Nutrition Seminar, Singapore
- Fluids and hydration in team sports. RFL Sports Medicine, Sports Science and Performance Conference, Leeds
- Dietary supplement usage in team sports. RFL Sports Medicine, Sports Science and Performance Conference, Leeds
- Fasting and sports performance. IOC Medical Commission workshop on Fasting in Sport. Lausanne, Switzerland
- Nutrition for Football. University of Saarbrucken, Germany
- Dietary supplements. Animal nutrition symposium. Waltham
- Limitations to middle distance running performance. International Sports Sciences and Sports Medicine Conference. Newcastle, UK
- Maintenance of musculoskeletal mass: interplay of nutrition and exercise. ESPEN Annual meeting. Vienna, Austria
- Nutrition for sports performance. Algerian Sports Medicine Association meeting. Algiers, Algeria
- Development of hydration strategies to optimise performance for athletes in high intensity sports and in sports with repeated intense effort. Copenhagen, Denmark
- Medical and physiological challenges of playing football in the heat. FIFA Medical Conference. Zurich, Switzerland.
- Fasting and sports performance. IOC Medical Commission Science and Medicine meeting. Lausanne, Switzerland
- Nutrition concerns of athletes at the Singapore Youth Olympic Games. IOC International Federations Medical Officers’ meeting. Lausanne, Switzerland
- Distance running in the heat. International symposium on exercise in hot environments. Doha, Qatar
- Hydration and dehydration. International symposium on exercise in hot environments. Doha, Qatar
- Hydration and health. ESAC meeting, Brussels, Belgium
- Nutrition and hydration for sports performance. Annual meeting of the Turkish Nutrition Society. Istanbul
- Hydration and cognitive function. Annual meeting of the Turkish Nutrition Society. Istanbul
- Maughan RJ (ed) The IOC Encyclopaedia of Nutrition in Sport. 2000. Blackwell, Oxford (also in Chinese and Russian translation)
- Maughan RJ, R Murray (2001) Sports Drinks. CRC Press, Boca Raton
- Maughan RJ, LM Burke (2002) Sports nutrition. Blackwell, Oxford (also in Dutch, Portuguese, Russian and Greek translations)
- Maughan RJ, M Gleeson (2004) The biochemical basis of sports performance. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Maughan RJ (2004) The athlete's diet. Institut Danone, Brussels.
- Maughan RJ, LM Burke, EF Coyle (Eds) Food, Nutrition and Sports Performance. 2004. Routledge, London.
- Maughan RJ (ed) Nutrition and Football. 2007. Routledge, London
Original research papers
- Watson P, E Houghton, PB Grace, C Judkins, PM Dunster, RJ Maughan (2010) The effect of delivery mode on excretion patterns of nandrolone metabolites after ingestion of a nandrolone pro-hormone. Med Sci Sports Ex 42, 754-761
- RJ Maughan, L Dargavel, R Hares, SM Shirreffs (2009) Water and salt balance of well-trained swimmers in training. Int J Sport Nutr Ex Metab 19, 598-606
- Hobson RM, EL Clapp, P Watson, RJ Maughan (2009) Exercise capacity in the heat is greater in the morning than in the evening in man. Med Sci Sports Ex 41, 174-180
- Evans GH, SM Shirreffs, RJ Maughan (2009) Post-exercise rehydration in man: the effects of osmolality and carbohydrate content of ingested drinks. Nutrition 25, 905-913
- Maughan RJ, SM Shirreffs, JKW Lee (2009) Cold fluids improve exercise performance in the heat by slowing the rate of heat gain response. Med Sci Sports Exerc 41, 1683-1684
- Watson P, C Judkins, E Houghton, C Russell, RJ Maughan (2009) Supplement contamination: detection of nandrolone metabolites in urine after administration of small doses of a nandrolone precursor. Med Sci Sports Exerc 41, 766-772
- Maughan RJ, JB Leiper, Bartagi Z, Zrifi R, Y Zerguini, J Dvorak (2008) Effect of Ramadan fasting on some biochemical and haematological parameters in Tunisian youth soccer players undertaking their usual training and competition schedule. J Sports Sci 26, S39-S46
- Shirreffs SM, RJ Maughan (2008) Water and salt balance in young male football players in training during the holy month of Ramadan. J Sports Sci 26, S47-S54
- Lee JKW, SM Shirreffs, RJ Maughan (2008) Cold drink ingestion improves exercise endurance capacity in the heat. Med Sci Sports Exerc 40, 1637-1644
- Maughan RJ, SM Shirreffs, P Watson (2007) Exercise, heat, hydration and the brain. J Am Coll Nutr 26, 604S-612S
You can view a fuller publications list on the University Publications Database.