Dr Christian Füllgrabe PhD
Lecturer in Psychology
Christian graduated from the University of Paris - René Descartes in 2005 with a PhD in Psychology; he also holds a University Diploma in “Implantable hearing prostheses” (2003) from the University of Paris - Pierre and Marie Curie. From 2005 to 2010, he worked as a Fyssen Foundation and Marie-Curie Intra-European post-doctoral research fellow at the University of Cambridge. During this time, he was elected a Junior Research Fellow at Wolfson College, Cambridge (2008-2010). In 2010, Christian joined the MRC Institute of Hearing Research of the University of Nottingham as a Senior Investigator Scientist. From 2014 to 2016, he also acted as an Affiliated Lecturer at the University of Cambridge.
My initial work consisted in the behavioural and physiological study of the sensory mechanisms underlying auditory temporal processing and their role in speech perception in normal and pathological populations (such as adults with hearing impairment or cortical lesions, and children with developmental dyslexia or autism spectrum disorder). More recently, my research interests have been extended to the role of cognitive functions (e.g. working memory) in the intelligibility and comprehension of speech in adverse listening conditions, and to the developmental trajectories of sensory and cognitive processing abilities across the adult lifespan. My work has been funded by Action on Hearing Loss (UK), the British Society of Audiology (UK), and the Oticon Foundation (Denmark).
I am an Associate Editor of the International Journal of Audiology, and I have been acting as an ad hoc reviewer for a number of scientific journals (e.g. Aging, Neuropsychology, and Cognition; Audiology & Neurotology; Current Biology; Ear & Hearing; eLife; Experimental Aging Research; Frontiers in Neuroscience; Frontiers in Psychology; Hearing Research; International Journal of Audiology; Journal of Acoustical Society of America; Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease; Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research; Journal of the American Academy of Audiology; Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology; Neuropsychologia; PLoS ONE; Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology; Research in Developmental Disorders; Speech Communication; Trends in Hearing) as well as several funding bodies (Action on Hearing Loss, UK; Agence Nationale de la Recherche, France; Agir Pour l’Audition, France; Alzheimer’s Society, UK; Flanders Research Foundation, Belgium; Foundation Neurodis, France).
Since 2017, I have been providing scientific consultancy to Archean Technologies (Montauban, France) developing a clinical tool based on Automatic Speech Recognition systems for the prediction of aided and unaided human speech intelligibility that can be used as an objective measure of hearing-aid benefit.
Füllgrabe, C. (2020). On the possible overestimation of cognitive decline: The impact of age-related hearing loss on cognitive-test performance. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 14, 454.
- Füllgrabe, C., Moody, M., & Moore, B. C. (2020). No evidence for a link between noise exposure and auditory temporal processing for young adults with normal audiograms. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 147(6), EL465-EL470.
- Fontan, L., Cretin-Maitenaz, T., & Füllgrabe, C. (2020). Predicting speech perception in older listeners with sensorineural hearing loss using automatic speech recognition. Trends in Hearing, 24, 1–16.
- MacCutcheon, D., Füllgrabe, C., Eccles, R., van der Linde, J., Panebianco, C., & Ljung, R. (2020). Investigating the effect of one year of learning to play a musical instrument on speech-in-noise perception and phonological short-term memory in 5- to 7-year-old children. Frontiers in Psychology, 10, 2865.
- Casaponsa, A., Sohoglu, E., Moore, D.R., Füllgrabe, C., Molloy, K., & Amitay, S. (2019). Effects of training with amplitude modulated (AM) tones on tone-vocoded speech perception. PLoS One, 14(12), e0226288.
- MacCutcheon, D., Pausch, F., Füllgrabe, C., Eccles, R., van der Linde, J., Panebianco, C., Fels, J., & Ljung, R. (2019). The contribution of individual differences in memory span and language ability to spatial release from masking in young children. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 62, 3741–3751.
- Moore, B.C.J., Sęk, A.P., Vinay, & Füllgrabe, C. (2019). Envelope regularity discrimination. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 145, 2861-2870.
- Füllgrabe, C., & Moore, B.C.J. (2018). The association between the processing of binaural temporal-fine-structure information and audiometric threshold and age: A meta-analysis. Trends in Hearing, 22, 1-14.
- Füllgrabe, C., Sek, A.P., & Moore, B.C.J. (2018). Senescent changes in binaural sensitivity to temporal fine structure. Trends in Hearing, 22, 1-16.
- Füllgrabe, C., Harland, A.J., Sek, A.P., & Moore, B.C.J. (2017). Development of a new method for determining binaural sensitivity to temporal fine structure. International Journal of Audiology, 56, 926-935.
- Fontan, L., Ferrané, I., Farinas, J., Pinquier, J., Tadieu, J., Magnen, C., Gaillard, P., Aumont, X., & Füllgrabe, C. (2017). Automatic speech recognition predicts speech intelligibility and comprehension for listeners with simulated age-related hearing loss. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 60, 2394-2405.
- Füllgrabe, C., & Rosen, S. (2016). On the (un)importance of working memory in speech-in-noise processing for listeners with normal hearing thresholds. Frontiers in Psychology, 7, 1268.
- Füllgrabe, C., Moore, B.C.J., & Stone, M.A. (2015). Age-group differences in speech identification despite matched audiometrically normal hearing: Contributions from auditory temporal processing and cognition. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, 6, 347.
- Füllgrabe, C., & Moore, B.C.J. (2014). Effects of age and hearing loss on stream segregation based on interaural time differences. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 136, EL185-EL191.
- Sayles, M., Füllgrabe, C., & Winter, I. (2013). Threshold for amplitude modulation detection in the guinea-pig ventral cochlear nucleus. Journal of Physiology, 591, 3401-3419.
- Füllgrabe, C. (2013). Age-dependent changes in temporal-fine-structure processing in the absence of peripheral hearing loss. American Journal of Audiology, 22, 313-315.
- Füllgrabe, C., & Moore, B.C.J. (2012). Objective and subjective measures of pure-tone stream segregation based on interaural time differences. Hearing Research, 291, 24-33.
- Moore, B.C.J., & Füllgrabe, C., & Stone, M.A. (2011). Determination of preferred parameters for multi-channel compression using individually fitted simulated hearing aids and paired comparisons. Ear & Hearing, 32, 556-568.
- Füllgrabe, C., Baer, T., Stone, M.A., & Moore, B.C.J. (2010). Preliminary evaluation of a method for fitting hearing aids with extended bandwidth. International Journal of Audiology, 49, 741-753.
- Füllgrabe, C., Baer, T., & Moore, B.C.J. (2010). Effect of linear and warped spectral transposition on consonant identification by normal-hearing listeners with a simulated dead region. International Journal of Audiology, 49, 420-433.
- Stone, M.A., Moore, B.C.J., Füllgrabe, C., & Hinton, A. (2009). Multichannel fast-acting dynamic range compression hinders performance by young, normal-hearing listeners in a two-talker separation task. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, 57, 532-546.
- Moore, B.C.J., Stone, M.A., Füllgrabe, C., Glasberg, B.R., & Puria, S. (2008). Spectro-temporal characteristics of speech at high frequencies, and the potential for restoration of audibility to people with mild-to-moderate hearing loss. Ear & Hearing, 29, 907-922.
- Füllgrabe, C., Berthommier, F., & Lorenzi, C. (2006). Masking release for consonant features in temporally fluctuating background noise. Hearing Research, 211, 74-84.
- Füllgrabe, C., Moore, B.C.J., Demany, L., Ewert, S.D., Sheft, S., &. Lorenzi, C. (2005). Modulation masking produced by 2nd-order modulators. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 117, 2158-2168.
- Füllgrabe, C., Maillet, D., Moroni, C., Belin, C., &. Lorenzi, C. (2004). Detection of 1st- and 2nd-order temporal-envelope cues in a patient with left superior cortical damage. Neurocase, 10, 189-197.
- Lorenzi, C., Sibellas, J., Füllgrabe, C., Gallégo, S., Fugain, C., & Meyer, B. (2004). Effects of amplitude compression on first- and second-order modulation detection thresholds in cochlear implant listeners. International Journal of Audiology, 43, 264-270.
- Füllgrabe, C., Meyer, B., & Lorenzi, C. (2003). Effect of cochlear damage on the detection of complex temporal envelopes. Hearing Research, 178, 35-43.
- Füllgrabe, C., & Lorenzi, C. (2003). The role of envelope beat cues in the detection and discrimination of second-order amplitude modulation. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 113, 49-52.
- Lorenzi, C., Dumont, A., & Füllgrabe, C. (2000). Use of temporal envelope cues by developmental dyslexics. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 43, 1367-1379.