Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy Research
Young People, Sport and Social Inclusion
- Youth disaffection, disengagement and disadvantage (Sandford/Bradbury)
- Issues around sport/physical activity and social capital (Bradbury/Sandford)
- Youth identity and physical culture (Sandford)
- Positive youth development through sport/physical activity (Sandford)
- The physical activity experiences of looked after children (Sandford/Duncombe/Armour)
- Sports based community interventions and the impact on engaging disengaged youth
- Youth sports volunteering and the development of social capital and citizenship
- Increasing and broadening minority youth participation and addressing equity in sports
- Evaluation of the Step into Sport young volunteers programme funded by the Youth Sport Trust, Sport England and Sports Leaders UK (2002-2009)
- Evaluation of Black and Minority Ethnic participation in local football in Leicestershire and Rutland funded by the English FA (2006)
- Evaluation of Living for Sport Volunteering programme funded by the Youth Sport Trust (2008-2009)
- Evaluation of the Sport Scotland Active Schools programme funded by Sport Scotland (2008-2011)
- Evaluation of the Football Foundation Community Strategy and Facilities Programme funded by the Football Foundation (2010-2011)
- Youth Sport Trust
- Sports leaders UK
- Sport England
- Sport Scotland
- Leicestershire and Rutland County FA
- Football Foundation
- Armour, K.M. & Sandford, R.A. (2012) Positive youth development through an outdoor physical activity programme: evidence from a four-year evaluation, Educational Review, DOI:10.1080/00131911.2011.648169.
- Bradbury, S. and Kay, T. ‘Youth sport volunteering: developing social capital?’ in Sport, Leisure, Culture and Social Capital: Discourse and Practice, Leisure Studies Association Publications Number 100, February 2008.
- Bradbury, S. and Kay, T. ‘Stepping into Community? The impact of youth volunteering on young people’s social capital’ in Sport and Social Capital, Nicholson, M. & Hoye, R. Elsevier. Butterworth-Heinemann (UK) March 2008.
- Bradbury, S. (2010) ‘From racial exclusions to new inclusions: Black and minority ethnic participation in football clubs in the East Midlands of England’ in International Review of the Sociology of Sport.
- Bradbury, S. (2011) ‘Racisms, resistance and new youth inclusions: the socio-historical development and shifting focus of black, Asian and minority ethnic football clubs in Leicester in Burdsey, D. (ed.) Race, Ethnicity and Football: Persisting Debates and Emergent Issues Abingdon: Routledge.
- Kay, T. and Bradbury, S. (2009) ‘Youth sport volunteering and the development of social capital’ in Sport, Education and Society, Volume 14, Issue 1, February 2009.
- Sandford, R.A., Armour, K.M. & Stanton, D.C. (2010) Volunteer mentors as informal
educators in a youth physical activity programme, Mentoring and Tutoring, 18(2), 135-153.
- Sandford, R.A., Armour, K.M. & Duncombe, R. (2010) Finding their Voice: Disaffected Youth Insights on Sport/Physical Activity Interventions, in: M. O’Sullivan & A. MacPhail,
Young People’s Voices in Physical Education and Sport. London: Routledge.
- Sandford, R., Armour, K. & Duncombe, R. (2008) Physical Activity and Personal/Social
Development for Disaffected Youth: In Search of Evidence, in: N. Holt (Ed) Positive Youth Development and Sport. London: Routledge.
- Sandford, R.A., Armour, K.M. & Warmington, P.C. (2006) Re-Engaging Disaffected Youth through Physical Activity Programmes. British Educational Research Journal, 32, 2, 251-271.
PESP houses the international journal Sport, Education and Society (Editor in Chief, Prof John Evans) and staff are represented on a number of advisory and editorial boards of leading journals in the field including:
- Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education
- British Journal Sociology of Education
- Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy
- European Physical Education Review
- Qualitative Research in Sport and Exercise