Dr Vidya Sukumara Panicker PhD in Strategic Management, Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
Lecturer in International Business
Program Director, BSc Management
Board of Directors, Corporate Governance, Emerging Markets, Family Owned Firms, Institutional Investors
Vidya is a Lecturer in International Business in the International Business, Strategy and Innovation group, since 2018. Before completing her Ph.D. in Strategic Management from the Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode, she was engaged in technical roles for over 5 years in some of the leading IT service firms of India. She has also previously worked in the UCL School of Management, London, as a research assistant. Vidya’s research investigates the relation between corporate governance (ownership structure in particular) and strategic management in emerging market firms. At Loughborough, she teaches the International Business Environment and Business Environment Analysis modules. She is also the Program Director of the BSc Management Program.
Vidya’s research broadly deals with corporate governance and firm level strategies in emerging market firms. More specifically, she examines the impact of different ownership groups such as institutional investors, family owners, and government on the strategic decisions of firms such as internationalization, innovation, M&As, and sustainability.
- Panicker, V. S., Upadhyayula, R S., Mitra, S. (2018). “Ownership in Emerging Market Firms and International investments: Board independence and CEO duality as Moderators”, Academy of International Business Annual Conference, Minneapolis, USA, June 25-28, 2018.
- Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Upadhyayula, R S., (2017). "Ownership Groups and International Investments: Direct and Interactive Effects". Academy of Management Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, August 6-8, 2017.
- Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Upadhyayula, R S., (2017). "Heterogeneity of Institutional Investors and Their Influence on Internationalization In Emerging Economy Firms". Academy of International Business Annual Conference, Dubai, UAE, July 2-5, 2017.
- Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Upadhyayula, R S., (2017). "'Institutional Investment and Internationalization: Ownership and Board Characteristics as Moderators". Academy of International Business Annual Conference, Dubai, UAE, July 2-5, 2017.
- Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Upadhyayula, R S., (2017). "Institutional Investors as Firm Monitors: The Case of Internationalization". Academy of International Business UK & Ireland Chapter Conference, Reading, U.K, April 6-8, 2017.
- Panicker, V S.& Mitra, S. (2016). “Ownership as A Determinant of Corporate Governance Convergence in Indian Firms”, British Academy of Management Conference 2016, Newcastle University, UK, September 6-7, 2016
- Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Sensarma, R., (2014). Foreign ownership and corporate governance characteristics in Indian IT firms. Pan IIM World Management Conference, Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode, November, 2014
Panicker, V.S., Upadhyayula, R.S. & Mitra, S. 2021. Lender representatives on board of directors and internationalization in firms: an institutionalized agency perspective. Journal of Management and Governance. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10997-021-09600-x
Panicker, V.S. and Upadhyayula, R.S., 2021. Limiting role of resource dependence: an examination of director interlocks, board meetings and family ownership. Cross Cultural & Strategic Management, 28(2), pp.424-451.
Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Upadhyayula, R S. 2019. Institutional investors and international investments in emerging economy firms: A behavioral risk perspective. Journal of World Business, 54 (4), 322-334
Panicker, V.S., 2017. Ownership and corporate social responsibility in Indian firms. Social Responsibility Journal, 13(4), pp.714-727.
Panicker, V.S., Mitra, S. and Sensarma, R., 2016. Corporate Governance Determinants of FII in Indian IT Firms. Indian Journal of Corporate Governance, 9(1), pp.1-18.