Dr Vidya Sukumara Panicker PhD in Strategic Management, Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
Lecturer in International Business
Board of Directors, Corporate Governance, Emerging Markets, Family Owned Firms, Institutional Investors
Vidya completed her doctoral programme in Strategic Management from the Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode, in 2017. She has previously worked in the UCL School of Management, London, as a research assistant. She holds a bachelor’s degree in technology and was engaged in technical roles for over 5 years in some of the leading IT service firms of India. Vidya’s research investigates the relation between corporate governance (ownership structure in particular) and international investments in emerging market firms. In Loughborough she teaches the International Business Environment module.
Vidya’s research broadly deals with corporate governance and international investments in emerging market firms. While her thesis examines ownership traits of these firms as a determinant of their international investments, her more recent interests are on the role of different types of board members such as promoter directors and nominee directors on the internationalization decision of firms. She is also interested in examining convergence patterns in corporate governance practices across the world.
- Panicker, V. S., Upadhyayula, R S., Mitra, S. (2018). “Ownership in Emerging Market Firms and International investments: Board independence and CEO duality as Moderators”, Academy of International Business Annual Conference, Minneapolis, USA, June 25-28, 2018.
- Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Upadhyayula, R S., (2017). "Ownership Groups and International Investments: Direct and Interactive Effects". Academy of Management Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, August 6-8, 2017.
- Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Upadhyayula, R S., (2017). "Heterogeneity of Institutional Investors and Their Influence on Internationalization In Emerging Economy Firms". Academy of International Business Annual Conference, Dubai, UAE, July 2-5, 2017.
- Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Upadhyayula, R S., (2017). "'Institutional Investment and Internationalization: Ownership and Board Characteristics as Moderators". Academy of International Business Annual Conference, Dubai, UAE, July 2-5, 2017.
- Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Upadhyayula, R S., (2017). "Institutional Investors as Firm Monitors: The Case of Internationalization". Academy of International Business UK & Ireland Chapter Conference, Reading, U.K, April 6-8, 2017.
- Panicker, V S.& Mitra, S. (2016). “Ownership as A Determinant of Corporate Governance Convergence in Indian Firms”, British Academy of Management Conference 2016, Newcastle University, UK, September 6-7, 2016
- Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Sensarma, R., (2014). Foreign ownership and corporate governance characteristics in Indian IT firms. Pan IIM World Management Conference, Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode, November, 2014
- Panicker, V. S., Mitra, S., Upadhyayula, R S. " Institutional investors and international investments in emerging economy firms: A behavioral risk perspective". Journal of World Business (Forthcoming)
- Panicker, V.S., 2017. Ownership and corporate social responsibility in Indian firms. Social Responsibility Journal, 13(4), pp.714-727.
- Panicker, V.S., Mitra, S. and Sensarma, R., 2016. Corporate Governance Determinants of FII in Indian IT Firms. Indian Journal of Corporate Governance, 9(1), pp.1-18.