Ravi Shankar Ph.D., MBA, M.Tech., Bachelor of Engineering
Visiting Professor in Decision Sciences
Decision Sciences, Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Business Analytics, Project management
Dr. Ravi Shankar is the "Amar S. Gupta Chair Professor of Decision Science" and Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management in the Department of Management Studies (DMS) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi India. He is Fellow of prestigious Indian National Academy of Engineers (FNAE). His research citations exceed 13780 with an H-index of 60 (as on Jan 29, 2018).
His areas of interest includes Decision Sciences, Sustainable Supply Chain Management, Business Analytics & Big Data, Sustainable Freight Transportation and Supply Chain Management.
Prof. Shankar has been awarded the honorary title of Visiting Professor of Decision Sciences at School of Business & Economics at Loughborough University since January 2018.
He has supervised 50 defended/completed PhDs and over 100 Masters-level thesis for the M.Tech. and MBA degree programmes.
He was awarded "The Most Influential Researcher" in the area of Operations Management in India at 3rd International Conference on Green Supply Chain Management at London in 2016,. In the year 2016, a research paper on "Research productivity in management schools of India during 1968-2015" published in Omega: An International Journal of Management Science ranked Prof. Shankar as the top-most productive researcher in Business-schools in India by virtue of his number of publications, high citations, etc. In the year 2012, a White Paper on “Analysis of the Logistics Research in India” by leading researchers in German Universities has ranked Prof. Shankar as the top-most Indian academics in logistics/SCM. On many occasions (2017, 2011, 2007, 2005 and 2004), he received "Award of Excellence" for his research papers in different research journals, published by Emerald UK.
Besides many completed funded projects, currently he is leading three major funded projects from British Council, European Union and University of Connecticut USA. He has published over 350 research papers and co-authored 08 books, including three most popular text books in the area of Supply Chain Management, Operations Management and Technology Management. His research papers have appeared in leading journals like Journal of Operations Management, European Journal of Operational Research, Computer and Operations Research, International Journal of Production Economics, Omega: An International Journal of Management Science, IEEE Transaction in System Man and Cybernetics (Part-C), Decision Support System, International Journal of Production Research, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Journal of Knowledge Management etc.
Prof. Ravi Shankar has trained over 5000 corporate professionals through online and class-room training programs in the area of Business Analytics & Optimization, Naval Operations Analysis (for Indian Navy Officers), Six Sigma - Green Belt, Project Management, Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Supply Chain Excellence, Production & Operations Management, Advanced Program in Software Engineering & Management (APSEM), Enterprise Resource Planning, etc.
- Sustainable Supply Chain Management
- Supply Chain Analytics
- Supply Chain Issues in Food & Energy Security
- Green & Resilient Supply Chain Management
- Container Supply Chain Management
Social Media, Mobility, Analytics & Cloud (SMAC) based Supply Chain Management
He has also undertaken teaching at "School of Management - Asian Institute of Technology Thailand", "French-Vietnamese Center for Management Education (CFVG) HVMC & Hanoi Vietnam", etc. and research-driven association with Aston Business School Birmingham UK, Newcastle University UK, University of Connecticut USA, Rutgers Business School USA, University of Padua (UNIPD) Italy, Aalborg University Denmark, etc.
- Shankar, R., Bhattacharya S. & Choudhary A. (2018). A decision model for a strategic closed-loop supply chain to reclaim End-of-Life Vehicles, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 195, pp. 273-286.
- Mohanty, M., & Shankar, R. (2017). Modelling uncertainty in sustainable integrated logistics using Fuzzy-TISM. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 53, 471-491
- Srai, J. S., Kumar, M., Graham, G., Phillips, W., Tooze, J., Ford, S., Shankar, R. & Ravi, B. (2016). Distributed manufacturing: scope, challenges and opportunities. International Journal of Production Research, 54(23), 6917-6935.
- Purohit, A. K., Shankar, R., Dey, P. K., & Choudhary, A. (2016). Non-stationary stochastic inventory lot-sizing with emission and service level constraints in a carbon cap-and-trade system. Journal of Cleaner Production, 113, 654-661.
- Choudhary, D., & Shankar, R. (2015). The value of VMI beyond information sharing in a single supplier multiple retailers supply chain under a non-stationary (Rn , Sn) policy. Omega, An International Journal of Management and Science, 51, 59-70.