Mark Tippett B. Com, University of Newcastle, N.S.W., Australia. Ph.D., University of Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K., CA (ANZ)
Emeritus Professor of Accounting & Finance
Mark Tippett is an Emeritus Professor in the School of Business and Economics. He has held professorial appointments at several institutions including the Australian National University, the University of Exeter and the University of Sydney. He is a past Joint Editor of The British Accounting Review and is a past Chairman of the Conference of Professors of Accounting and Finance. He has also served as a member of several editorial boards, including Abacus, Accounting and Business Research, the Journal of Business Finance and Accounting and the European Journal of Finance. Professor Tippett is also an Associate member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia.
Research interests span theoretical and applied work on stochastic processes including the relationship between equity prices and accounting (book) figures; the impact of “real” options on equity prices; estimating returns on financial instruments using discretely sampled data and the probability density function for equity returns. He has devoted most of his academic career towards illustrating the pseudo-scientific nature of much of the empirical research which is conducted in the accounting and finance disciplines."
Associate member, The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (A.C.A.)
Currently, Associate Editor, European Journal of Finance.
Currently, member, Editorial Board, Abacus.
- Yizhe Dong, Robert Hamilton and Mark Tippett. “Cost Efficiency of the Chinese Banking Sector: A Comparison of Stochastic Frontier Analysis and Data Envelopment Analysis” Economic Modelling, 36 (January 2014), pp. 298-308.
- Ian Davidson, Xiaojing Song and Mark Tippett. “Time Varying Costs of Capital and the Expected Present Value of Future Cash Flows”, European Journal of Finance, 21, 2 (February 2015), pp. 129-146.
- Hemantha Herath, Raafat Roubi, A. William Richardson and Mark Tippett. “Non-Linear Equity Valuation: An Empirical Analysis”, Abacus, 51, 1 (March 2015), pp. 86-115.
- Qian Guo, Huw Rhys, Xiaojing Song and Mark Tippett. “The Friedman Rule and Inflation Targeting”, European Journal of Finance, 22, 14 (October 2016), pp. 1414-1434.
- Dimu Ehalaiye, Tony van Zijl and Mark Tippett. “The Predictive Value of Bank Fair Values”, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 41 (February 2017), pp. 111-127.
- Xiaojing Song, Mark Tippett and Andrew Vivian. “Assessing Abnormal Returns: The Case of Chinese M&A Acquiring Firms”, Research in International Business and Finance, 42 (December 2017), pp. 191-207.
- Jing Chen, Diandian Ma, Xiaojing Song and Mark Tippett. “Negative Real Interest Rates”, European Journal of Finance, 23, 15 (2017), pp. 1447-1467.
- Paul Docherty, Yizhe Dong, Xiaojing Song and Mark Tippett. “The Feller Diffusion, Filter Rules and Abnormal Stock Returns”, European Journal of Finance, 24, 5 (2018), pp. 426-438.
- John van der Burg, Xiaojong Song and Mark Tippett. “A Hyperbolic Model of Optimal Cash Balances”, European Journal of Finance, 25, 2 (2019), pp. 101-115.
- Adrian Melia, Xiaojing Song and Mark Tippett. “Subtle is the Lord, but Malicious He is not: The Calculation of Abnormal Stock Returns in Applied Research”, European Journal of Finance, 25, 9 (2019), pp. 835-855.
- Yizhe Dong, Martien Lubberink, Diandian Ma and Mark Tippett. “Earnings Momentum, Adaptation Value and Nonlinearities in the Valuation of Chinese Equity Stocks”, Abacus, 55, 2 (2019), pp. 333-361.
- Diandian Ma, Thu Phuong Truong, Xiaojing Song and Mark Tippett. “Accumulated (Integrated) Interest and the Square Root Process”, Accounting Research Journal, 32, 4 (2019), pp. 678-691.
- Siqi Liu, Adrian Melia, Xiaojing Song and Mark Tippett. “Singular Diffusions, Constant Elasticity of Variance Processes and Logarithmic Rates of Return”, European Journal of Finance, 26, 9 (2020), pp. 837-853.
- Dimu Ehalaiye, Tony van Zijl and Mark Tippett “The Impact of SFAS 157 on Fair Value Accounting and Future Bank Performance”, International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, 28, 4 (2020), pp. 739-757.
- Xiaojing Song, Thu Phuong Truong, John van der Burg and Mark Tippett, “The Quantity Theory of Stock Prices”, European Journal of Finance, in press.
- Diandian Ma, Adrian Melia, Xiaojing Song, John van der Burg and Mark Tippett, “Distributional Properties of the Book to Market Ratio and their Implications for Empirical Analysis”, European Journal of Finance, in press.