Dr Alex Zarifis BSc, MSc, PhD (University of Manchester)
E-commerce, trust, privacy, online collaboration, artificial intelligence, fintech, insurtech, project management, leadership, blockchain, online education
Dr Alex Zarifis is a research associate focusing on artificial intelligence in fintech and insurtech.
Dr Zarifis has taught in several areas including management information systems, business intelligence, marketing, project management and leadership. He has delivered modules at the University of Manchester, University of Liverpool and University of Mannheim. He also participated in creating and delivering online modules, including the first university module on blockchain technologies in the world.
Dr Zarifis earned a BSc from the University of Leeds in Management with Information Systems, an MSc in Business Information Technology and a PhD in Business Administration both from the University of Manchester.
Dr Alex Zarifis research is primarily focused on artificial intelligence in fintech and insurtech. He has published research in e-commerce, trust, online collaboration, privacy, blockchain, project management and online education. He has also participated in applying for funding and worked on a large EU-funded research project at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT).
Dr Zarifis has published extensively on trust in e-commerce. Trust is necessary wherever there is an exchange of value that involves risk. His research has explored the role of trust in various aspects of e-business including: The level of trust needed for different business models in the sharing economy, the impact of ransomware attacks on trust, how trust develops in online collaboration and online collaborative learning, how to build trust in multichannel and omnichannel retail, the challenges to trust in e-health, the influence of trust in the adoption of virtual worlds and trust in digital currency-enabled transactions.
- Associate Editor for the European Conference on Information Systems
- Co-editor of a special issue of the British Journal of Education Technology
- Zarifis A., Cheng X. & Kroenung J. (2019). Collaborative consumption for low and high trust requiring business models: From fare sharing to supporting the elderly and disabled, International Journal of Electronic Business, vol.15, no.1, pp.1-20.
- Cheng X., Su L. & Zarifis A. (2019). Designing a talents training model for cross‑border e‑commerce: A mixed approach of problem‑based learning with social media, Electronic Commerce Research, vol.19, iss.4, pp.801-822.
- Cheng X., Fu S., Han Y. & Zarifis A. (2017). Investigating the Individual Trust and School Performance in Semi-Virtual Collaboration Groups, Information Technology and People, vol.30, no.3, pp.691-707.
- Cheng, X., Fu, S., Sun, J., Han, Y., Shen, J. & Zarifis, A. (2016). Investigating Individual Trust in Semi-Virtual Collaboration of Multicultural and Unicultural Teams, Computers in Human Behavior, vol.62, pp.267-276.
- Cheng, X., Macaulay, L. & Zarifis, A. (2013). Modelling Individual Trust Development in Computer Mediated Collaboration: A Comparison of Approaches. Computers in Human Behavior, vol.29, no.4, pp.1733-1741.