7 Feb 2020
Inspiring Minds: Business & Economics event
On the 29th of January we welcomed Year 12 students for a Business and Economics taster day where they learned more about the options available to them at university. The event was a success and the feedback received was great.
The event was aimed to enhance current studies and get students thinking about their subjects from a new perspective through a range of undergraduate level taster sessions delivered by our academic staff and students. Students could also learn more about university applications and student life through informative sessions covering topics such as Personal Statements and Student Finance. They also had an opportunity to take a tour of our stunning single-site campus with our current students.
The taster lectures this year included:
- Not Just About Numbers: Accounting for Society and the Environment delivered by Dr Petros Vourvachis
- Improving Business with Analytics and Big Data delivered by Dr Ilkka Leppänen
- Let’s Make Some Money! Arbitrage and FX delivered by Stephen Frost
- 21st Century Marketing delivered by David Peck
- Who Will You Work For? delivered by Dr Maxine Clarke
- Economists and the Economy delivered by Professor Eric Pentecost.
Students also had the opportunity to attend a session on Enterprise & Employability led by Dr Amanda Berry, University Teacher (Enterprise Education) and Academic Lead for Student and Graduate Enterprise.
Some of the feedback received from the event includes:
- “The placement/study abroad years and enterprise support are huge pull factors for me”
- “Plenty of choice in lectures, and quick summary lectures kept us engaged”
- “Thank you for such an event, I learnt so much and now I really want to be part of the university”
- “Lovely people and excellent facilities. Interesting courses”
- “I was motivated with the courses and activities I was told about, and now I really want to be part of this”.
We thank everyone for coming and hope the event gave you an opportunity to understand what it feels like to be a student!