Dr Yang Liu MBSc MPhi PhD
Senior Lecturer in Healthcare Engineering
- BSc in Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences from China;
- MPhil in Drug Delivery and Biochemistry from Aston University;
- PhD in Dentistry from University of Birmingham
- Previously a pharmacist in China;
- Joined Loughborough University in 2004 as Postdoctoral Researcher
- Now a Senior Lecturer and RCUK Academic Fellow in the Healthcare Engineering Group
Research Interests and Activities
- Background and extensive experiences on cell and biomaterials interaction, specialised in bone tissue engineering using calcium phosphate or polymer-based scaffold, adult stem cell culture and differentiation,
- Current research areas:
- Translational research on stem cell and tissue engineering technology and nanotechnology for healthcare, mainly focused on 3-dimentional tissue culture; scale up/out, characterisation and quantification of cell/tissue-based products; implants and cell/tissue interactions; cellular mechanics; biological effects of mechanical stimulation, mathematical modelling in biological science and healthcare.
- Professional affiliations:
- Member of TERMIS (Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine International Society) and a previous member of The European Society for Biomaterials.
- Reviewer for the following journals: Acta Biomaterialia, Scientific Report, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Nanoscale, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Journal of Royal Society Interface, Biotechnology Letters, International Journal of Nanomedicine, Biomaterials etc.
External PhD examiner for University of Birmingham
A member of the EPSRC Peer Review College
Reviewer for BBSRC, MRC, UK Research and Innovation, European Research Council, Orthopaedic Research UK and The Daphne Jackson Trust
The Smith & Nephew Prize (University of Birmingham, UK): best biomaterials PhD student 2003