Professor Vladimir Babitsky Dipl. Eng., PhD, DSc
Professor of Dynamics
Graduated from Moscow High School with a Gold medal and from Moscow State Technological University (STANKIN) with a distinction diploma in mechanical engineering. PhD and DSc from Russian Academy of Sciences. Founder and Head of Vibration Engineering Laboratory in Institute of Machine Studies, Moscow - Russian Academy of Sciences. Guest Professor of Munich Technical University. Consultant of HILTI AG (Liechtenstein). Joined Loughborough University as a Professor of Dynamics in 1995.
- Fellow of Int. Centre on Vibro-Impact Systems
- Member of European Mechanics Society
- Member of International Federation of Automatic Control
- Founder and co-editor of Springer book series "Foundations of Engineering Mechanics"; co-editor of Journal of Sound and Vibration Special Issue 2007; editor of Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science Special Issue 2008; co-editor of Journal of Sound and Vibration Special Issue 2011; co-editor of Journal of Shock and Vibration Special Issue 2011.
- President of the International Centre of Vibro-Impact Systems
Chairman of EUROMECH Colloquium “Dynamics of Vibro-Impact Systems”, Loughborough 1998; Chairman of the 1st Int Conference on Vibro-Impact Systems, Loughborough 2005; Honorable co-chairman of the 2nd International Conference on Vibro-Impact Systems, Sanya, PRChina 2010; Honorable chairman of the 3rdInternational Conference on Vibro-Impact Systemsand Systems with Non-Smooth Interactions, Leinweiler, Germany 2013.
The 8th International Conference on Recent Advances in Structural Dynamics, Southampton, UK 2003; XIV Symposium “Dynamics of Vibro-Impact Systems”, Moscow, Russia 2004; International Symposium on Vibro-Impact Dynamics of Ocean Systems, Troy, Michigan, USA 2008; The 10th International Workshop on Piezoelectric Materials and Applications in Actuators and The 8th Annual Energy Harvesting Workshop, Hannover, Germany 2013; The 3nd International Conference on Vibro-Impact Systems and Systems with Non-Smooth Interactions, Leinweiler, Germany, 2013.
Invited papers in International Journals:
- Journal of Vibration and Control 2007, Nonlinear Dynamics 2007.
MIT USA, 2003; Hull Inst. of Math. Sciences & Appl., UK, 2005; IUTAM Symposium on Vibration Control of Nonlinear Mechanisms and Structures, Germany, 2005; Tokyo University of Technology, Japan 2006;Toyota Research Centre, Japan 2006; FUJI Ultrasonics, Japan 2006; Alstom, Switzerland 2007; International Conference on Structural Nonlinear Dynamics and Diagnosis, Marrakech, Morocco 2012; Institute of Engineering Mechanics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany, 2012.
- Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan, 2006, Northeastern University, Shenyang, PR China, 2008
Honk Kong Research Grant Counsel adviser; reviewer for numerous journals in dynamics and vibration.
Commercialisation of research:
- Patent “Percussion Power Tool Apparatus with Shock Absorbing Piston Arrangement” 2004 applied by JCB in the new serial hydraulic breakers 2007; recent research projects with BAE Systems & Rolls-Royce, Advantica Technology Ltd and JCB
Broad Interests and Expertise
- Non-Linear Dynamics
- Dynamics and Control of Machines
- Vibration Engineering
- Power Ultrasonics
Research Interests and Activities
- Dynamics of Vibro-Impact Systems
- Autoresonant Systems
- Vibration Processing
- Vibration Protection in Harsh Environment
- Ultrasonic Machining
Books in English:
- Babitsky, V., Theory of Vibro-Impact Systems and Applications, Springer 1998, 319 pp., ISBN 3-540-63723-0.
- Astashev, V.K., Babitsky, V.I. and Kolovsky, M.Z., Dynamics and Control of Machines, Springer 2000, 233 pp., ISBN 3-540-63722-2.
- Babitsky, V.I. and Krupenin, V.L., Vibration of Strongly Nonlinear Discontinuous Systems, Springer 2001, 413 pp., ISBN 3-540-41447-9.
- Babitsky, V.I. and Shipilov, A.V., Resonant Robotic Systems, Springer 2003, 174 pp., ISBN 3-540-00334-7.
- Astashev, V.K. and Babitsky, V.I, Ultrasonic Processes and Machines: Dynamics, Control and Applications, Springer 2007, 340 pp, ISBN 978-3-540720607.