Dr Thanos Goulas PhD MSc BEng
Thanos completed his undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering in the University of West Attica. He then moved to the United Kingdom to study for a MSc and a PhD at the Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering within the Additive Manufacturing Research Group at Loughborough University, under the supervision of Dr. Ross J. Friel, Dr. Daniel S. Engstrøm and Prof. Russell A. Harris. There he developed a keen interest in additive manufacturing and 3D printing for novel materials; his doctorate investigated the laser additive manufacture of extra-terrestrial materials.
Following the award of his PhD, he undertook post-doctoral research in Loughborough University working with Dr. Daniel S. Engstrøm and Prof. Yiannis J.C. Vardaxoglou, on the SyMETA £5M grand challenge, developing novel additive manufacturing techniques for realising metamaterial structures for high-frequency electronics. Thanos’ research findings have been disseminated via internationally recognised peer reviewed journals, invited book chapters, conferences, UK national radio broadcasts and scientific press.
PhD in Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering (Additive Manufacturing/3D printing) | Jan. 2014 – Jan. 2019. Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical & Manufacturing Engineering, Loughborough University, United Kingdom
MSc in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering & Management | Oct. 2012 – Oct. 2013. Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical & Manufacturing Engineering, Loughborough University, United Kingdom.
BEng in Mechanical Engineering | Oct. 2004 – Aug. 2012. Department of Mechanical Engineering, School of Applied Sciences, University of West Attica, Greece
- Additive Manufacturing/3D printing
- Laser Additive Manufacturing
- Novel and Advanced Manufacturing Technologies
- Manufacturing Process Development
- Novel Materials, Metamaterials, Ceramics, Polymers and Composites
- Material Characterisation & Testing
- Astronautics and Aerospace Engineering
- Regolith Science, Extra-Terrestrial materials and Planetary Resources
- In-Space Additive Manufacturing
- In-Situ Resource Utilisation (ISRU)
Teaching assistant in:
WS03META - Introduction to Additive Manufacturing
WSC606 - Additive Manufacturing for Product Development
WSD606 - Additive Manufacturing and Reverse Engineering
WSP607 - Introduction to Additive Manufacturing
WSP637 - Introduction to Additive Manufacturing
- Goulas, A., Binner, J.G.P., Engstrøm, D.S., Harris, R.A., Friel, R.J., Mechanical Behaviour of Additively Manufactured Lunar Regolith Simulant Components, Proceedings of the iMechE, Part L: Journal of Materials: Design and Applications(2018). doi: 10.1177/1464420718777932.
- Goulas, A., Binner, J.G.P., Harris, R.A., Friel, R.J., Assessing Extra-Terrestrial Regolith Material Simulants for in-situ Resource Utilization based 3D Printing, Applied Materials Today, 6 (2017) pp. 54-61. doi: 10.1016/j.apmt.2016.11.004.
- Goulas, A., Harris, R.A., Friel, R.J., Additive Manufacturing of Physical Assets by using Ceramic Multicomponent Extra-Terrestrial Materials, Additive Manufacturing, 10 (2016) 36–42. doi:10.1016/j.addma.2016.02.002.
- Goulas, A., Friel, R.J., 3D Printing with Moondust, Rapid Prototyping Journal, 22(6) (2016) 864–870. doi:10.1108/RPJ-02-2015-0022.
- Goulas, A., Friel, R.J., Laser Sintering of Ceramic Materials for Aeronautical & Astronautical Applications, in: M. Brandt (Ed.), Laser Additive Manufacturing: Materials, Processes, Design, Applications, 1st ed., Woodhead Publishing, 2016: pp. 373–398. ISBN: 9780081004333. doi:10.1016/B978-0-08-100433-3.00014-2.
- Goulas, A., Engstrøm, D.S., Friel, R.J., 2019. Laser Additive Manufacturing Using Indigenous Lunar Resources. In: 7th European Lunar Symposium. The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom.
- Zhang, S., Faouri, S. El, Wang, D., Ghosh, A., Chi-Tangyie, G., Ketharam, A., Gheisari, R., Goulas, A., Lee, C., Whittaker, T., Cadman, D., Reaney, I., Vaidhyanathan, B., Engstrom, D., Whittow, W., Vardaxoglou, J.Y.C., 2019. Extrusion Based High Performance Low Temperature Sintered Ceramic Materials for Microwave Applications. In: 13th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation. Krakow, Poland.
- Coveney, A., Goulas, A., Engstrom, D., 2019. Robocasting YBCO for superconducting applications. In: Young Ceramists Additive Manufacturing Forum (YCAM) 2019. Université de Mons, Mons, Belgium.
- Goulas, A., Gheisari, R., Wang, D., Ghosh, A., Chi-Tangyie, G., Ketharam, A., Zhang, S., Lee, C., Whittaker, T., Cadman, D., Reany, I., Vaidhyananthan, B., Whittow, W.G., Vardaxoglou, J.C., Engstrøm, D.S., 2019. Material extrusion-based additive manufacture of low temperature electroceramics for RF metamaterials. In: Young Ceramists Additive Manufacturing Forum (YCAM) 2019. Université de Mons, Mons, Belgium.
- Cadman, D., El-Faouri, S., Wang, D., Chi-Tangyie, G., Ghosh, A., Ketharam, A., Gheisari, R., Goulas, A., Lee, C., Whittaker, T., Zhang, S., Reaney, I.M., Vaidhyanathan, B., Conway, P., Engstrøm, D.S., Whittow, W.G., Vardaxoglou, J.C., 2018. 3D Printing of High-Performance Low Temperature Sintered Ceramic Substrates for Microwave Applications. In: IET (Ed.), LAPC2018 - The Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference. Loughborough.
- Goulas, A., Gheisari, R., Ghosh, A., Wang, D., Vaidhyanathan, B., Reaney, I.M., Vardaxoglou, J.C., Engstrom, D., 2018. Additive Manufacturing of Metal/Ceramic Metamaterial Structures for RF Applications. In: 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting. IEEE, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Goulas, A., Engstrom, Friel, R.J., Harris, R.A., Investigating the Additive Manufacture of Extra-Terrestrial Materials, in: D. Bourell (Ed.), 2016 Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium Proceedings (SFF Symp. 2016), Austin, TX, 2016, pp.2271-2281 (Link).
University of Oxford
University of Exeter
University of Sheffield
University of Birmingham
Queen Mary University of London
Reviewer for :
- Applied Materials Today, Materials & Design, Rapid Prototyping Journal,
- PLoS ONE - Public Library of Science, Journal of the Council of European Aerospace Societies,
- Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Journal of American Society of Civil Engineers - Aerospace Division