Dr Tendai Dube BSc, MSc, PhD
E-Learning Technology Specialist (Research)
Tendai has a great passion for Learning, Teaching and Assessment.
She did her PhD part time from 2007-2012 at the University of Derby (where she was working full time) under the guidance of Prof Minhua Eunice Ma. Her PhD was interdisciplinary in nature cutting across Education, Pedagogy and Computer Science, with focus on E-Learning. Her Software Engineering PhD project focussed on investigating and designing a Flexible E-assessment System by employing Design Methodology Management (DMM) techniques. DMM deals with the execution and control of tools and tasks involved in a design process. A significant contribution of her research was introduction of the capabilities of DMM to the design and development processes of an e-assessment system within the context of E-Learning. Based on the DMM model, she established a Framework for E-assessment Systems (DMMFEAS), and then adopted it in the development of five different Formative Assessments in various subject areas working with different academic staff with a variety of requirements at the University of Derby.
Tendai worked at the University of Derby between 2006 and 2018 in various roles which include E-Assessment Developer, Technology Enhanced Learning Researcher, and Learning Technology Developer. During this period, she acquired various professional qualifications which include Certified Membership of the Association for Learning Technologists (CMALT); Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA); and also Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCert HE). She also had an experience of teaching as a Sessional Lecturer in IT for Access and Foundation studies for one academic year from 2011 to 2012.
Following her qualification as a trained teacher of English and Religious Education, with a Diploma in Education (University of Zimbabwe), Tendai taught for nearly 5 years at secondary school level before relocating to the UK with her family in 2000. She then studied with the Open University in the UK from 2001 to 2004 gaining a BSc (Hon) in IT and Computing as well as a Diploma in IT; and went on to get a commendation/merit for her studies for MSc in Computing Systems with Nottingham Trent University from 2005 to 2006.
As of 2019, she is an E-Learning Technology Specialist (Research) in the Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering at Loughborough University.
2007—2012 UNIVERSITY OF DERBY
Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science (Software Engineering), Supervisor: Prof. Minhua Eunice Ma
2005 – 2006 NOTTINGHAM TRENT UNIVERSITY
Master of Science in Computing Systems
2001—2004 THE OPEN UNIVERSITY (UK)
Bachelor of Science Honours in IT & Computing
2001—2002 THE OPEN UNIVERSITY (UK)
Diploma in Information Technology
1992—1994 UNIVERSITY OF ZIMBABWE
Diploma in Education
Research Excellence Awards:
Promising Researcher Award, 2010 University of Derby
Teaching Informed by Research Award, 2009, University of Derby
- E-learning technology application, enhancement, design and development
- Students’ engagement
Tendai is happy to collaborate on research projects in those or similar areas.
- Dube, T. Ma, M. (2010), A Flexible E-Assessment System Inspired by Design Methodology Management to Accommodate Diverse Learning Styles. International Journal of Digital Society (IJDS), Volume 1, Issue 1, pp.44-52. (ISSN 2040 2570).
- Dube, T., (2010), The Role of the Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) in Learning Design. Response, University of Derby’s Online Journal.
- Dube, T., Ma, M. and Zhao, Z. (2011) Tasks, Processes and Tools: A Design Methodology Management Approach to Design and Development of E-Assessment. In 2011 9th International Conference on Emerging eLearning Technologies and Applications (ICETA) (pp. 211-216). IEEE.
- Dube, T., and Ma, M.(2011) Design of a Flexible e-Assessment System to Accommodate Diverse Learning Styles: a Mathematics Case Study. In EDULEARN11 Proceedings (pp.6852-6860). IATED.
- Dube, T., and Ma, M. (2010) Marking short free text responses in e-assessment. In Proceedings of the “e” Teaching and Learning Workshop. ISBN 978-0-9559676-4-1. In collaboration with the Higher Education Academy subject network for Information and Computer Sciences (HEA-ICS).
- Dube, T., and Ma, M. (2009) Flexible E-Assessment for Accommodating Diverse Learning Styles. In Proceedings of London International Conference on Education (LICE-2009), pp. 360-363. (ISBN:978-09564263-0-7).
- Flexible e-Assessment for Accommodating Diverse Learning Styles. LTA Conference, University of Derby, Buxton, 7 July 2011.
- TurningPoint voting system. LTA Conference, University of Derby, Buxton, 10 July 2008.
- Marking short free text responses in e-assessment. E-Teaching and Learning Workshop, University of Greenwich, London, 1st June 2010.
- E-Assessment and Design Methodology management. CAA Conference, Loughborough University, 8th July 2009.
- Flexible E-Assessment for Accommodating Diverse Learning Styles. LICE Conference, London, 9-12 November 2009.
Virtual Conference Presentations
- Design of a Flexible E-Assessment to Accommodate Diverse Learning Styles: A Mathematics Case Study. EDULEARN Conference, Spain, 4-6 July 2011.
Parent Governor at Dunkirk Primary School, Nottingham