Professor Taeseong Kim PhD
Professor of Wind Energy
Feb. 2004, BSc in Aerospace Engineering, Korea Aerospace University, South Korea
Feb. 2009, PhD in Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University, South Korea
Mar. 2009 – Jul. 2009, Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Seoul National University, South Korea
Aug. 2009 – Dec. 2011, Research Scientist, Wind Energy Division, Risoe National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy, Denmark
Jan. 2012 – Jul. 2012, Research Scientist, Department of Wind Energy, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark
Aug. 2012 – Sept. 2018, Associate Professor, Department of Wind Energy, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark
Oct. 2018 – Present, Professor, Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering, Loughborough University, UK
UDTU Diploma: Education in University Teaching, Technical University of Denmark, 2014
Plaque of contribution (2016), Korea Institute of Energy Research (KIER), South Korea
The Distinguished Alumni Award (2016), Seoul National University, South Korea
My main research areas are Aeroelasticity, Aerodynamics, Rotor dynamics, Wind farm optimization, Structural dynamics, Vibration control, and System design and analysis.
Grants and contracts:
- 2019 – 2020, Korea Institute of Energy Research (KIER) - Development of structure integrated planar heating element using fiber-reinforced composite materials.
- 2018 Jun. - 2018 Dec., Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology (KICT) - Development of the Low RPM and High Torque Generator for Building Integrated Wind Turbine System.
- 2018 May - 2018 Dec., Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology (KICT) - Development of Building Integrated Wind Turbine System.
- 2017 Sept. - 2017 Dec., Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology (KICT) - Rotor design study for building integrated wind turbine.
- 2016 – 2019, Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP) - Development and demonstration of a hybrid 100kw passive-controlled wind turbine smart rotor toward mega-watt turbine
- 2016 – 2019, Agency for Defense Development (ADD) project - Numerical and Experimental studies to analyze the ice accretion shapes for fixed and rotary wing aircraft.
- 2016 Jan. – 2016 Dec., Korea Institute of Energy Research (KIER) - Design of a 10MW Floating Wind Turbine System.
- 2014 – 2018 EUDP - IEA task 30 Offshore Code Comparison Collaboration Continued with Correlation.
- 2014 – 2016 Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP) - Design of power prediction and control technology of wind farm considering uncertainty analysis.
- 2012 - 2015 EUDP - Demonstration of Partial Pitch 2-bladed Wind Turbine.
Current teaching responsibilities:
- WSP034, WSD534, and WSP634(DL): Wind Power 1 (7.5ECTS)
- WSP041, WSD541, and WSP641(DL): Wind Power 2 (5ECTS)
Current administrative responsibilities:
- Teaching Team Leader – Power and Energy, Wolfson School, Loughborough University
Publications under review (2019):
- F. J. Madsen, T. R. L. Nielsen, T. Kim, H. Bredmose, A. Pegalajar-Jurado, R. F. Mikkelsen, A. K. Lomholt, M. Borg, M. Mirzaei, and P. Shin, “Experimental analysis of the scaled DTU10MW TLP floating wind turbine with different control strategies,” Renewable Energy, under review.
- Jaime Liew, Wai Hou Lio, Albert Meseguer Urban, Jessica Holierhoek, and Taeseong Kim, “Active Tip Deflection Control For Wind Turbines,” Renewable Energy, under review.
- Yu-Eop Kang, Seungin Min, Taeseong Kim, and Kwanjung Yee, “Initial Bead Growth and Distribution under Low Speed Icing Condition,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, under review.
- Christian Pavese, Carlo Tibaldi, Frederik Zahle, Taeseong Kim, “Aeroelastic Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of a Swept Wind Turbine Blade,” Wind Energy, Online Available, 2017, (DOI: 10.1002/we.2131).
- Christian Pavese, Taeseong Kim, and Juan Pablo Murcia, “Design of a Wind Turbine Swept Blade through Extensive Load Analysis,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 102, March 2017, pp. 21-34.
- Torben J. Larsen and Taeseong Kim, “Experimental and Numerical Study of Rotor Dynamics of a Two- and Three-bladed Wind Turbine,” Journal of Ocean and Wind Energy, Vol. 26, Issue 4, December 2016.
- Carlo Tibaldi, Taeseong Kim, Torben J. Larsen, Flemming Rasmussen, Raphaël Rocca-Serra and Francesc-Xavier Sanz, “An investigation on wind turbine resonant vibrations,” Wind Energy, Vol. 19 (5), May 2016, pp. 847-859, (DOI: 10.1002/we.1869).
- Taeseong Kim, Torben J. Larsen, and Anders Yde, “Investigation of potential extreme load reduction for a two-bladed upwind turbine with partial pitch,” Wind Energy, Vol. 18 (8), 2015, pp. 1403-1419, (DOI: 10.1002/we.1766).
- Taeseong Kim, Anders M. Hansen, and Kim Branner, “Development of an Anisotropic Beam Finite Element for Composite Wind Turbine Blades in Multibody System,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 59, 2013, pp 172-183.
- D. Castaignet, T. Barlas, T. Buhl, N.K. Poulsen, J.J. Wedel-Heinen, N.A. Olesen, C. Bak, and T. Kim, “Full-scale test of Trailing Edge Flaps on a Vestas V27 wind turbine, Active load reduction and system identification,” Wind Energy, Vol. 17 (4), 2014, pp. 549-564, (DOI: 10.1002/we.1589).
- Technical University of Denmark, DHI
- Seoul National University
- Hongik University
- Korea Aerospace University
- Korea Institute of Energy Research (KIER)
- Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology (KICT)
- University of Surrey
- Imperial College London
- University of Bristol
- University of Strathclyde
External roles and appointments:
- Conference organizing committee for Europe-Korea Conference (EKC), 2017
- Ocean Engineering Session convener of Europe-Korea Conference at 2016 (EKC 2016)
- Offshore Wind Energy Technology Session convener of Europe-Korea Conference at 2019 (EKC 2019)
- Chairman of the 33rd ASME Wind Energy Symposium, Kissimmee, Florida, USA, 2015
- Chairman of the Korea-Austria/Europe Energy & Environment Forum, Vienna, Austria, Nov. 13, 2015
- Chairman of the 32nd ASME Wind Energy Symposium, National Harbor, Maryland, USA, 2014
- Chairman of the SCITECH FORUM, San Diego, USA, 2019
- Associate Editor, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science
- Member of international advisory editorial board, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology
- Technical Committee Member, ASME Wind Energy Technical Committee
- Member of Korea Technology Advisory Group, Korea Institute for Advancement of Technology (KIAT)
- Member of Global Advisory Committee, Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- Member of European Academy of Wind Energy (EAWE)
- Member of European Wind Energy Association (EWEA)
- Member of American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- External Examiner for the PhD project at Aarhus University, Denmark
- External Examiner for the PhD project at Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nurnberg (FAU), Germany