Muhammad Shaban BS(Hons), MS(Research)
PhD research Student
Muhammad Shaban is a PhD Research Student; under the supervision of Dr. Felipe Iza of the School of Electronic, Electrical and Systems Engineering and Dr. B.R. Burckley of the Department of Organic Chemistry. His research title is “Design and Characterization of Electrical Power Supplies and Plasma Systems”.
His project is part of the centre for doctoral training in Gas Plasma Interactions with Organic Liquids at Loughborough University and is a fully funded studentship. He is working with other students in the centre performing computational and experimental research aimed at unravelling the interaction of atmospheric-pressure gas plasma with organic liquids and at developing novel scientific and technological applications.
Prior to his position in Loughborough University, he completed MS by research (on Scholarship) from Brunei Darussalam in August 2016, where his work addressed the analysis of induced sheath voltage in underground cables under different bonding/configuration. Shaban has a BSc (Hons) in Electrical Engineering from Pakistan (2007-2011).
ü Electrical Power Systems
ü High Voltage Engineering
ü Underground power cables
ü Distribution systems
ü Power System Protection
ü Project Planning
ü Team Management
ü Plasma Systems
ü Resource management
2013 - 2016 Berakas Power Management Company Brunei (BPMC), Brunei Darussalam
Project Consultant & Research Assistant
BPMC a utility company in Brunei, needed to reduce induced sheath voltage in metallic sheaths of 66 KV and 132 KV transmission lines and cables. Successfully designed a range of underground cables in EMTP-RV and ATP-Draw to do transients studies which was part of MSc project.
2013 - 2016 Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB), Brunei Darussalam
Assisting principle supervisor with the delivery of laboratory sessions to undergraduates in the following subjects: Electrical machines; Electronic Circuit Design; Electromagnetic Theory.
2011 – 2013 Technical Engineer
Responsible for the repair and maintenance of different electrical equipment including step down transformers and transmission units and diagnosing and repairing faults. Main duties were to supervise the erection of Mechanical and Electrical equipment. Presented the feasibility test and site testing of the plant equipment before installing them in the field which was successfully implemented later on.
Design and Characterization of Electrical Power Supplies and Plasma Systems
He is working with other students in the centre performing computational and experimental research aimed at unravelling the interaction of atmospheric-pressure gas plasma with organic liquids and at developing novel scientific and technological applications. In particular, he will design novel plasma reactors to facilitate and control the generation of reactive species in atmospheric-pressure gas plasmas as well as the subsequent transport of these species into the liquid. The use of droplets and/or bubbles is anticipated as a means to maximize the transport between the gas phase and the liquid phase and a key element of the project will be the development of control strategies to maintain stable plasma operation despite changes in environmental conditions.
His research will focus on the following areas:
- Modelling of electrical power supplies.
- Studying and modelling different plasma systems/ reactors.
- M. Shaban, M.A. Salam, S.P. Ang and William Voon, “Induced Sheath Voltage in Power Cables: A Review”, [J] Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews Elsevier, Vol. 62, pp. 1236-1251, Sept 2016. IF: 5.91 (Published) DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2016.05.032
- M. Shaban, M.A. Salam, S.P. Ang and W. Voon, “Calculation of Sheath Voltage of Underground Cables Using Various Configurations”, 1-3 Nov. IET/IEEE BICET 2014, Brunei Darussalam (Published) DOI: 10.1049/cp.2014.1074
- M. Shaban, M.A. Salam, S.P. Ang, M.A.B. Sidik, Z. Buntat and W. Voon, “Assessing Induced Sheath Voltage in Multi-Circuit Cables: Revising the Methodology”, IEEE CENCON, 19-20 Oct. 2015. Malaysia (Published)DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.2645.3520
- M. Shaban, M.A. Salam, S.P. Ang, M.M. Poulose and W. Voon, “Induced Sheath Voltage in Double Circuit”, IEEE TENCON, pp. 1-6, 1-4 Nov. 2015, Macau China. (Published)DOI: 10.1109/TENCON.2015.7373111
- M. Shaban, M.A. Salam, S.P. Ang, Nourfauzi Dani, Fushuan Wen and W. Voon, “Calculation of Induced Sheath Voltage for Transposed and Un-transposed Cable Conductors”, (Invited Paper) IEEE TENCON, pp. 1-6, 1-4 Nov. 2015, Macau China. (Published) DOI: 10.1109/TENCON.2015.7372833
- M. Shaban, M.A. Salam, S.P. Ang, Fushuan Wen and W. Voon, “Metal Oxide Surge Arrester: A Tool for Lightning Stroke Analysis”, (Unpublished)
- Aaliya Sarfaraz and M. Shaban, “Real-Time Volume Rendering of FCC Datasets Using Box-Splines on the Mobile Platforms”, [J] British Journal of Mathematics & Computer Science 2015. (Published) DOI: 10.9734/BJMCS/2015/19044