Dr Peter Willmot BSc PhD CEng MIED FHEA NTF
Principal University Teacher
Head of the Engineering Practice Teaching Group
- Born in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, attended Chesterfield Grammar School.
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering from Nottingham Trent University 1976.
- Worked in Manufacturing Industry for 11 years, initially through an engineering apprenticeship and into various Design, Production Engineering and Project Management roles.
- Joined Loughborough University teaching staff in 1983 and was appointed Lecturer in Engineering Design in 1985 in the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- Completed PhD in Agricultural Machinery/Renewable energy in 1990 at Loughborough.
- Promoted to the Senior Lecturer equivalent within the Teaching and Scholarship job family in 2001.
- Programme Director: B.Eng and M.Eng Mechanical Engineering(1996-2008)
- Director of Undergraduate Studies: School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (6 degree programmes) 2000-2011.
- HEA International Scholar 2012-2013
- HEA National Teaching Fellow 2014
Research Interests and Activities
- Engineering Education
- Enquiry Based Learning
- Leadership training
- Peer Mentoring and Assessment
- Student Engagement and Motivation
- Renewable Energy
- International Collaborations
- Professional affiliations: HEA National Teaching Fellow, NTF. Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA). Chartered Engineer and Member of the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED). Assessor for mature candidate registration of candidates for Chartered Engineer status (IED).
- Advisory Roles: Mechanical Engineering external subject advisor/validator for the British University in Egypt (BUE) 2005 to present. Course validator; University of Plymouth 2005; NSERC chair appointment panel member, Ryerson University, Toronto 2008, Course validator, University of Lincoln, 2010 and Harper Adams University, 2016; Strategic Planning Board member, University of the West of England, 2016.
- Editorial Board Membership:“Innovations 2007” and 2008” the Special Volume of the International Network for Engineering Education & Research (iNEER). CRAC degree course guide; mechanical and manufacturing engineering, 2005. SEFI international Engineering Education Conference, Birmingham, 2014. Co-Editor Analyzing Engineering Education in a Global Context’ IGI publishing (for release 2018)
- International Conferences: Session chair; Research in Engineering Education Symposium, Palm Cove, Queensland, July 2009. International Conference on Engineering Education, Turku 2012, Pecs, Hungary, July 2008, Coimbra, Portugal, Sept 2007, Melbourne Australia, Dec 2007. EE2010 Aston, Birmingham; ICEE, Turku, Finland 2011; ICERI, Seville, Spain, Nov 2013.
- Invited lectures/presentations:
- Keynote Lecture at Project Approaches to Engineering Education, PAEE2013, Eindhoven, the Netherlands, “Meaningful Mechanisms for Powerful Partnerships: Closing the gap with industry.” Jul. 2013
- HE-STEM Conference, Birmingham University, Jul 2013. International Engineering Education Workshop.
- Lead Lecturer – staff training week, Curricular matters, writing intended Learning Outcomes, effective assessment etc. - Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Departments, British University in Egypt. Apr. 2013
- ‘Graduates for Industry seminar’ Royal Academy of Engineering, London 2010,
- Engineering and Design Educators’ Network (EDEN) seminars, Loughborough, Digital Video reporting to engage students’ 2012, ‘Assessing Project Based Learning in Groups’. 2011,
- Higher Education Academy, ESC/engCETL symposium, Loughborough University, Enhancing Project Based Learning in Engineering, June 2009.
- ‘Student engagement & strategic learning’, Sheffield Hallam University Staff Training day; Assessment Strategy and Practise, June 2009.
- ‘Small Group Teaching’: International Symposium in Engineering Education, engCETL, Nov. 2008.
- Peer Assessment of Team Projects’; invited lecture at University of Western Australia, Perth, Nov. 2007,
- ‘Group Assessment Systems’, HEA/ESC; September, 2003.
- Invited seminars during my international scholarship 2012-13 at Central Queensland University; Boise State University; Colorado State University; IKH(now DTU), Copenhagen; Setubal, Portugal; U-Minho, Portugal and Valencia, Spain.
- Led 2-Day workshops (staff development) at BUE, Cairo, Egypt – 2013, repeated in 2014
- Keynote speaker at 1-day workshop on University Industry cooperation, Bauman Moscow State University, Russia, 2014.
- Keynote speaker at International Engineering Education Symposium; Universidad Adolfo Ibanez, Santiago, Chile, 2016.
- Keynote Lecture and invited guest at Engineering Education Symposium, Adolfo Ibanez University, Santiago, Chile 2016.
- Keynote speaker and workshop leader at Industry/Academia symposium, BMSTU, Moscow, 2013
- Referee: Engineering Education: Journal of the Higher Education Academy, Engineering Subject Centre .
- 2004: University Teaching Prize
- 2006: University Academic Practice Award.
- 2008: IMS Global Learning Impact Award (Austin, Texas) for work on Web-PA
- 2009: Nominated for Times Higher Education ‘Most Innovative Teacher’ Award
- 2012 HEA International Scholarship
- 2014; HEA National Teaching Fellowship
Year 1 – Engineering Drawing, Design, Metrology, Principles and Professional Skills
Year 2 – Design of Machine Elements, Creative Design, Industry based Projects.
Year 3 – Industry liaison and research projects
Year 4 – Project Leadership, Project Management and Design
- University teaching Assessor.
- Diploma of Industrial Studies (DIS) registered mentor
- School IED representative
- Former Director of the Loughborough Teaching Contract Scheme
- Former Chairman of Wolfson Teaching and Learning Committee
- Former Chairman of Wolfson Staff-Student Committee